Are these DC5 shocks?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi all,

As some may be aware, I've recently replaced the OEM shocks for some Mugen Showa dampers.

I've since found out that the Track rod ends are off an EP3. I spent some time looking through the car's detailed history and it's showing Civic Shock absorbers were put on the car in 2015 which I'm baffled about, so I called the Garage that did the work and the lad I spoke to happened to be the previous owner.

He explained it's just the rears that are EP3 shocks, the fronts should still be the DC5 ones and he only chose to put Civic ones on as they were easier to get hold of brand new and they're exactly the same as DC5 shocks at the rear anyway. Is this correct?

I've taken some photos of them, can anyone confirm if they are indeed DC5 front shocks please? The rears are made by Monroe.

Cheers

ste01

Advanced Member
Think they are, can barely read the part number but if I Google what I can read it finds links to 02-04 DC5 type r shocks

jpstyper

Advanced Member
The rear ep3 shocks have a different size Bush at the bottom being a fair bit narrower requiring spacers so not to bend the shock mount

The front shocks where the tie rod bolts is alot smaller in diameter that's why when using ep3 shocks it requires ep3 tie rods

Hope that helps

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Think they are, can barely read the part number but if I Google what I can read it finds links to 02-04 DC5 type r shocks
How did you find that online? It just brought up Honda shocks for me and that's it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
jpstyper said:
The rear ep3 shocks have a different size Bush at the bottom being a fair bit narrower requiring spacers so not to bend the shock mount

The front shocks where the tie rod bolts is alot smaller in diameter that's why when using ep3 shocks it requires ep3 tie rods

Hope that helps
Thanks dude, so if they are DC5 shocks and it's got EP3 track rod ends, then this isn't right is it?

jpstyper

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Thanks dude, so if they are DC5 shocks and it's got EP3 track rod ends, then this isn't right is it?
No as the dc5 rod ends are a bigger diameter

Had a quick search and the part number for a dc5 front shock is 51606-S6M-Z04-E

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks mate, it's a complete different part number then so it must have had EP3 shocks on the front. No wonder the handling was poor. This is the part number that's on them - 51601-S6M-Z050-M1

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
If anything mate, what usually happens is people returning back to standard before sale

So if its had coilovers and been returned to oem, that's where the ep3 TRE would come into play.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ste01

Advanced Member
jpstyper said:
No as the dc5 rod ends are a bigger diameter

Had a quick search and the part number for a dc5 front shock is 51606-S6M-Z04-E
There are a few different part numbers for DC5 front shocks. That's not even just because of prefacelift and facelift too

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
If anything mate, what usually happens is people returning back to standard before sale

So if its had coilovers and been returned to oem, that's where the ep3 TRE would come into play.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Cheers John.