Arse!!!

g-zone

Advanced Member
Just had my car in for MOT and it blimmin' well failed. They wouldn't pass it because the rear-fog light (connected into the main back lights) is white.

Grrr.

Anyone know what the rules are on this?

Duncs

does yours use one of the reversing light lenses then?
if so, i guess this is why it failed, i think it has to be a red lense, rather than a red bulb.
not much help though, fit a halfords special to the base of the bumper as a temp solution then remove post mot.
only at the ESVA test will they measure the height from the ground, not at the mot.

g-zone

Advanced Member
Well it was possibly red originally, but the paint has may have come off. Anyone recommend any heat proof paint that will stick to the lense? That's what I need to pass it.

How easy is it to get the lense off?

g-zone

Advanced Member
Duncs said:
does yours use one of the reversing light lenses then?
if so, i guess this is why it failed, i think it has to be a red lense, rather than a red bulb.
not much help though, fit a halfords special to the base of the bumper as a temp solution then remove post mot.
only at the ESVA test will they measure the height from the ground, not at the mot.
Yep, it's a reversing light, but the tester said if I could get some paint that would stick, it would pass - apparently they tried some paint but it wouldn't stick.

kingston

Advanced Member
USe nail varnish for the moment and then use the clear red lacquer afterwards, hwowever both are the same thing!!!

You can buy the spray at most car shops now a days, made by foliotec

mikegsi

Staff member
or one of those red wrappers you get in wquality street, bit of cellotape, and hey presto!

g-zone

Advanced Member
Cheers. Apparently, Tamiya acrylic clear red (X27) does the job.
So how easy is it to get the lense off? Or are you applying it to the bulb.

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
I've got some self adhesive vinyl at work that's meant to be transparent. I'll check it out stuck over the reversing light later tonight. That might do as a temp fix for mot time.

linzi94

Advanced Member
you can buy red bulbs

these bulbs are usually supplied when ricers buy clear/jewel foglights for the likes of pug 206's etc.

kingston

Advanced Member
Im pretty sure that the reflector has to be red for the fog and you cant get away with a red bulb...

Its like if you 'smoke' the rear lights, they become illegal if they dont allow x amount of orange/red light through

g-zone

Advanced Member
kingston said:
Im pretty sure that the reflector has to be red for the fog and you cant get away with a red bulb...

Its like if you 'smoke' the rear lights, they become illegal if they dont allow x amount of orange/red light through
I'm not so sure. The tester did attempt to paint the bulb in order for it to pass the test. However, he was using standard bodyshop paint, which promptly melted and charred. I've spent half this evening trying to file all the crap off.

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
tests duly done with limited success. Sticker. :roll: well. put that on and looked awful :lol: maybe it would be ok on the inside of the light cluster.
The same goes for test two with a micro thin film just held in place. I don't think it would give the intense fog light effect.
If you can't find any solutions pm me and i'll post some off to you f.o.c.

g-zone

Advanced Member
Thanks for trying. It does look rather pink. Gonna look at a few options today - I might be able to get hold of a red bulb.

g-zone

Advanced Member
Thought I'd update on this just incase anyone else is having any problems. Ordered a 17mm push in red-led bulb from www.ultraleds.co.uk. Needed to do some creative filing to make it fit through the hole, but it works and passed it's MOT today.

501 bulbs do not fit, they're too small.

If you want to paint the bulb instead, you'll need some Tamiya clear red paint (X27) available from www.netmerchants.co.uk 3 coats should do the trick, but not sure how long it will last.