Astra VXR

osiras

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

Just randomly, how does the new astra VXR fair against our Dc5's? Just wondering cause of cause it turbo'd and pushing 240bhp, but is it all that?

any thoughts would be great

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
my initial take on this would be that the vxr would be faster in a straight line but not on the twisties (same story as many comparisons with the dc5) - the vxr is supposed to be overpowered and suffer from torque steering so I'm thinking the teg would be much better balanced and more fun to drive :)

Mark_teg

Staff member
I agree with above. Am I right in thinking they dont have a LSD?
Bet thats quite lairy especially with that power and charactaristics of a turboed motor :lol:

raz786

Advanced Member
0-60 is just over 6 seconds i think. so maybe the DC5 has the slight advantage, but it has more torque and maybe 3rd and 4th gear would be interesting. Don't see a lot in it to be honest, just my opinion nothing concrete, would love to see which is quicker around the Top Gear track.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Drove one round Rockingham on a VXR day (along with all the other VXRs). It was horrible after the DC5 - understeer city, nannying electronics stopping you pushing out of corners, felt heavy, soft, brakes were OK (difficult to say in fairness as the cars had been ragged around the circuit all day). Seats weren't as nice either.

Couldn't say if it was actually faster in a straight line with the "extra" power, but I doubt it, cos it's heavier and at 240bhp has the same as most KPro'd DC5s. Having said that, I imagine being a turbo you can easily up the power to around 300bhp. That still won't make it go round corners properly! :lol:

I'm seeing a lot of these on the road now, although haven't had a play with any. Another common car like the Focus ST that people think is a "performance" car but is just a quick family motor, which will depreciate like a stone no doubt.

I found the Corsa VXR much more entertaining to drive! (Probably because it was lighter).

raz786

Advanced Member
I've been told by a friend that owns a VXR that mapped to 300BHP it would be faster than an evo, I'm guessing they mean the FQ300, but i really can't see it happening, evo's are VERY quick indeed.

jay82

Advanced Member
i rekon as said above the corsa would be more fun to drive, but as far as i no if u got the standard model astra and stick the turo engine and the brakes in it u have the same car.
i test drove one when they first came out and to be honest i wasn't impressed with it, it felt like my fathers 2003 astra, even with that power.

tedg

Advanced Member
raz786 said:
I've been told by a friend that owns a VXR that mapped to 300BHP it would be faster than an evo, I'm guessing they mean the FQ300, but i really can't see it happening, evo's are VERY quick indeed.
Evos have a very good track history of what works/enigine weaknesses etc in tuning.... is the VXR the same?

Paul Type R

raz786 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What? till it gets to a corner, which the an evo'll outbreak it up too.

raz786

Advanced Member
lol, my views exactly, i don't even think it's a competition in the straights!!

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic. ... l&start=15

No comparison really. I too did a VXR day this year having previously driven a 300bhp VXR on the road a few years back......

My feeling was it was very good on the track (although ditto the Corsa VXr was better, not to mention I couldn't sit upright in the Astra with helmet on as the roof line is so low!!) , on the road the Astra didn't seem to make as much sense.

HTH

Stuart_M

Vauxhall never seem to mind putting a good engines into there motors, anyone remember the Astra GTE then GSis, Corsa GSi etc which were very quick in a straight line in there day, but that seems to be where it ends, they always end up flawed and dissapointing as there never seems to be much going into the honing of the chassis to make it work (unless they get Lotus involved).....seems they have done the same with the VXR range which are all quick, but made a bit better go of it with the handling, but still haven't quite made it yet....but then some people don't really care about that, will just look at the figures, go out and buy it...

steveitr

Advanced Member
Im really not a fan of these cars, never driven one but ones ive seen really dont seem that quick, DC5 k-pro'd will be quicker imo, alot lighter and much better set up.

An at the end of the day its a vauxhall! Just doesn't sound good does it :lol: :lol:

jay82

Advanced Member
An at the end of the day its a vauxhall! Just doesn't sound good does it :lol: :lol:[/quote]

agree 100%.

i'll be looking at the lines of toyota t-sports kompresser to be honest

g_mac

ive raced a local VXR Astra around some twisties then onto a large straight and it was no comparison at all, he couldnt get anywhere near me, and i was only a K-Pro'd DC5 then :p

DC187

I find this really funny to read coz the Astra Owners Club has a thread thats the same and all of em big up the VXR over the teg lol

But as previously said, it's a Vauxhall, 'nuff said lol

markie

Advanced Member
Plus the fact they are as common as muck, i once had a bit of fun with one and on the straights i was waiting for it to go past me but he didnt even make an attempt either he was scared of it or it wasnt able but for it being turbocharged you would expect it to have a bit more grunt.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
DC187 said:
I find this really funny to read coz the Astra Owners Club has a thread thats the same and all of em big up the VXR over the teg lol

But as previously said, it's a Vauxhall, 'nuff said lol
They really need to drive both on track, the VXR is a league below! :roll: