Astra VXR

shanky77

I'm sure this is gonna go down well for my 2nd post - NOT!

I currently own an Astra VXR (past cars ; CTR 195Whp, DC2 STD) and have to jump in and defend it a lil bit! Now I came from the DC2 to the astra and have to say that at 1st, esp as I was used to revving to 9k I was not blown away by the straight line performance but once I learned how to drive it to get the best out of it it really is great fun!!! Yup I'll be the 1st to admit it doesn't go around corners for s**t but remember you guys are driving around in the car with the tag of best handling front wheel drive car ever!!! I really miss the handling of the DC2 so am seriously looking into getting a DC5!

Please be kind and dont slate me too much :wink:

tron2k3

Advanced Member
shanky77 said:

I currently own an Astra VXR (past cars ; CTR 195Whp, DC2 STD) and have to jump in and defend it a lil bit! Now I came from the DC2 to the astra and have to say that at 1st, esp as I was used to revving to 9k I was not blown away by the straight line performance but once I learned how to drive it to get the best out of it it really is great fun!!! Yup I'll be the 1st to admit it doesn't go around corners for s**t but remember you guys are driving around in the car with the tag of best handling front wheel drive car ever!!! I really miss the handling of the DC2 so am seriously looking into getting a DC5!

Sounds pretty spot on to me :lol:

steveitr

Advanced Member
shanky77 said:

I currently own an Astra VXR (past cars ; CTR 195Whp, DC2 STD) and have to jump in and defend it a lil bit! Now I came from the DC2 to the astra and have to say that at 1st, esp as I was used to revving to 9k I was not blown away by the straight line performance but once I learned how to drive it to get the best out of it it really is great fun!!! Yup I'll be the 1st to admit it doesn't go around corners for s**t but remember you guys are driving around in the car with the tag of best handling front wheel drive car ever!!! I really miss the handling of the DC2 so am seriously looking into getting a DC5!Please be kind and dont slate me too much :wink:
Good idea mate, you wont regret it :wink:

celox performance

Advanced Member
Did anyone watch Fifth Gear last night and see Vicky Butler-Henderson put the Focus ST against the VXR Nurburing Edition around their test track? The Focus wiped the floor with the VXR and she had a fight to keep the VXR on the track. One of the presenters said the only thing they liked about the VXR were the brakes :lol:

harry

had an astra opc,the opel version of the vxr.kept it for 3mths before selling it on.its very quick no denying that but to be honest it torque steers like a pig.scary in the wet too as the front wheels give out without any warning.got the dc5 straight after and have to say its a much better car :)

Stoo

Whining.....
We all know its a cleaners car, not a drivers car..

Can be quite quick in a straight line, and not so bad once fettled spenny wise, but out the box, head to head, no comparison really

Teg hands down.

Oh and shanky, its the DC2 that has the best handling FF accolade.

markie

Advanced Member
i served my time at a vauxhall franchise, and have to say that they can put out a quick car but they have suffered from understeer all the way back to the mk2 astra gte, you would have thought by now they would manage to get this sorted,you would have thought they would have put an lsd into the vxr and try and sort out there suspension. i would say the test on fifth gear wont do there sales any good.

shanky77

S80PERteg said:
Oh and shanky, its the DC2 that has the best handling FF accolade.
sorry I knew that was just refering to the Teg in general! Surely the DC5 cant be far behind, if at all in the handling stakes???

typertillidie

shanky77 said:

They would not be a chance in hell i would sell Dc2 for VXR the handling has always been terrible although i got use to it on ASTRA GTE8V :lol:

Dc2 mate very hard to find a car so precise ,ultimatly Raw and ever so forgiving in 1 package . All the cars i have ever driven and everytime that V-Tec engages you just can.t help but smile so fookin hardcore.

You have to remember power /figures and newer editions are not necessarily better it has to fit the full dossier, hard to match never mind make better complete icon and warrants all its merits with ease as it was just simply crem of the crop and in my eyes always will be. :D

I love the Dc5 as well so please don.t spit any dummies out :roll:

JT3173

Advanced Member
The VXR, mmmmm, torque steer, naff steering and poor at going round corners.

A few people at work have bog standard VXR's and I dont rate them, I had one behind me in the UK and it could not keep up through the twisties. I beat one a few times at Santa Pod, enough said.

The VXR Nurburgring Edition is very popular over here, 2 of my work mates have them, they sound great with a constant burble but I dont think they put out the extra 15bhp I have been told they do. A Remus exhaust upgrade and 15bhp?

Even if they are 255bhp they are far too heavy and clumsy for me to have worry about them behind me, yes they are fast in straight line but so is the DC5 and it also takes corners very well, buy a DC5 IMO.

Oh, did O mention the interior is naff too, especially the Nurburgring Edition, loads of fake carbon fibre and seats that dont look good, let alone hold you the way a car of this type should:roll:

K20AFD

Not as fast as the FD2 in a straight line but the Remus exhaust sounded nice on it popping and banging :lol:

ban77

lol i know this thread is a bit old, but i thought id just say ive bought an Astra VXR, :shock: i know it doesn't handle as well as my teg did, and i know it doesn't look as good, but i found myself never driving my dc5, i hated it down motorways and didn't like leaving it in carparks etc. i also hated having to explain to people what it was lol very anoying... and i ended up sounding very 'Geekish' when doing that :p dont get me wrong though it will be missed, but i needed a change,
i hate fords, my mate has a golf gti and i couldn't afford an audi a3, don't even mention the UK civic type r... Im not a fan, but thats probably because i worked at a Honda dealer.
The good thing about all of these cars is that everyone wants something different, how boring would it be if we all had the same car?

Martctr

Advanced Member
ban77 said:
i found myself never driving my dc5, i hated it down motorways and didn't like leaving it in carparks etc. i also hated having to explain to people what it was lol very anoying... and i ended up sounding very 'Geekish' when doing that :p dont get me wrong though it will be missed, but i needed a change,
Well you certainly don't have to explain what an Astra is :roll:

Get some tatts and a skin head and nobody asks you in the car park lol.

Hope you enjoy the new car. Will it be getting some work done as it's real cheap to get extra BHP?

ban77

Martctr said:
Hope you enjoy the new car. Will it be getting some work done as it's real cheap to get extra BHP?
yeh i will do, not straight away but its hard not to want to buy things.

David Fox

Advanced Member
Martctr said:
Get some tatts and a skin head and nobody asks you in the car park lol.
Hmmm an accurate description of me there!

VXR's are good I suppose for straight line speed, but out of all the hot hatches I tried after selling the Teg last year, the Focus ST came out top because it was the most balanced, and with the Volvo engine, is totally bulletproof. Tuning one with a Dreamscience mod is a good price (about £400) and transforms the car (I have 275bhp). Slightly too much power to the front wheels IMO, but the mid range grunt is superb. And, unlike the VXR, it handles well. Obviously handling wise, the DC5 is far better, but it all depends on what you are looking for.

R32 Mk 4 Golfs are excellent as well, essentially a poor mans S3 (which is why I am looking into one as well as another DC5), but if you are not concerned with badge snobbery, I recommend them.

If you want a good handling, good looking, fast car to get you and a family from A to B in comfort, get the Focus ST IMO. If you want a superb handling, gorgeous looking car to have a bit of fun in minus the family, DC5 every time.