Attention all GoPro users.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
So I got a GoPro Hero 3 for Christmas with a load of different mounts and accessories. Basically I have no idea what any of them are and which to use in the car or any ideas on where to mount it.

If anyone on here could give me some ideas on which mounts to use and where you put them inside your car I would be grateful. :)

My car's interior is standard so no cage, bars etc to use as mounting points. Thanks.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Suction cup is best for outside use but doesn't look like you have unless you want to use a sticky pad on lower bumper or something :/ . If you don't have bars then only option is sticky for inside so on top of dash, interior light, behind rear view mirror etc

The other plastic bits are effectively to allow you to get the correct viewing angle, you'll work it out quick enough

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I used to attach mine to the chin area of my helmet, but a lot of circuits don't like helmet mounted cameras these days..

There's a little peice of plastic that covers the mount of the rear view mirror, if you remove it there's a space behind that allows you to attach a sticky mount. Using the extension peices you can then bring the camera down passed the mirror and give it a nice view out the front. You'll have to set the camera to upside down as well if you mount it to the ceiling.

Also, get the app, it's a great tool for changing the settings and checking what the camera sees before deciding to stick a mount or make a bracket.

MrRy

Advanced Member
They don't allow me to use the suction cup on trackdays, but regardless its an awesome accessory.

Word of caution though, if you're thinking of buying a GoPro because of the massive price drops and offers, maybe wait it out. their share price has dropped massively over the last 6 months, with products (including accessories) expecting to become even cheaper. their latest product was a major flop, and too many competitors now offer the same quality for much less. Even so, I Love gopro, mine has lasted 4+ years and of trackdays and snowboarding/kayaking holidays.

gaza4

Advanced Member
if you ever use a suction cup (or any form of mount on an external surface) always always ALWAYS tether with some wire or rope!!!!

Something like this...

thankfully i had this because this happened as soon as i hit the motorway!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DK-jT0_6TE&feature=youtu.be

MrRy said:
They don't allow me to use the suction cup on trackdays, but regardless its an awesome accessory.

Word of caution though, if you're thinking of buying a GoPro because of the massive price drops and offers, maybe wait it out. their share price has dropped massively over the last 6 months, with products (including accessories) expecting to become even cheaper. their latest product was a major flop, and too many competitors now offer the same quality for much less. Even so, I Love gopro, mine has lasted 4+ years and of trackdays and snowboarding/kayaking holidays.
the Hero 5 (or whatever they will call it) is expected early 2016 so that will drop the price of current models too...

Fez

Advanced Member
I've used my gopro on the suction outside at 130mph+ many times and has always been fine. Before driving off i pull on the cup quite hard first just to check.

p1tse

Advanced Member
I'm looking for bike, car suction, chest mounts
Is it best to go with go pro genuine items?

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Right so... suction cup is needed. Thanks guys!

I think I'll try and stick it to the roof interior lighting with the suction cup and see the angle from there.

gaza4

Advanced Member
genuine gopro suction cup for sure, all other mounts, go cheap on ebay...

Sam.

Delkin gecko is a great suction mount, will support an SLR so a gopro is no problem.

k!ng

Advanced Member
Tbh I wouldn't want it tethered on a track day, if it comes off it'll swing about and could damage paintwork, which would be more expensive to fix than the gopro!

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I'm pretty sure the tethers are not for the safety of the gopro dude. Picture yourself, flat chat at the end of the longest straight, and a gopro pinging off the floor and coming towards you.

Gopro is very unlikely to cause any paint damage, all the sides are rounded.

gaza4

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
I'm pretty sure the tethers are not for the safety of the gopro dude. Picture yourself, flat chat at the end of the longest straight, and a gopro pinging off the floor and coming towards you.

Gopro is very unlikely to cause any paint damage, all the sides are rounded.
honestly i could see a gopro leaving a few marks if you were going fast enough, it would bounce around a fair bit. but i'd rather risk a small bit of damage to my own car than almost certainly loose my gopro or as k!ngy said cause damage to another car...