Audi S3 after DC5

armjoker

Advanced Member
Hi All

Thinking of buying an S3 8P. Any one moved to s3 from DC5 or from S3 to DC5?
What can you tell from comparing this 2 cars?
Its going to be my first none JDM car. Is it reliable like DC5?
How are the running costs compared to dc5?
Any info on S3 is more then welcome.

Was thinking of M3 as well, but dont think I can afford the running costs of M3.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Not sure on model numbers but I had the 1.8t s3. Lovely car to look at and sit in,drove nice awesome bose sound system,well built solid feel to it,loved the half leather heated seats.
But.....as a performance car I hated it! Too fat, too wallowy. Remapped to 260bhp still too slow. Died after 5500 rpm,horrible engine noise throttle delay,haldex delay.
Horrendous 22 mpg average.
To sum up great for motorway cruiser,terrible fat hot hatch for fun.

albone13

Advanced Member
I felt exactly the same about my s3 which was also mapped and reliability was not good mine had lots of problems or maybe I just brought a rubbish one. But the 8p is around 260 bhp standard and alot newer with a 2.0t go test drive one on paper should be fast

armjoker

Advanced Member
The 8p is 2007-2012 (if not mistaking) model with 2L turbo.
The problem is S3 is like white elephant here in Cyprus. there are only 3 for sale at the moment in country :(
Im thinking of 3 door version since 5 door looks too long to me :)

josh92

I sold my first dc5 as my friend was.selling his s3 cheap at 10k for a 08 low mileage lovely car as all audis are there comfort cars.. Obvs the s3 is fast but not as fast as they should be
.. Used to race my friend when he owned it and although on the straights he would slightly pull away was nothing major... The 4wd system is quality though.... After about a week of owning it I tuned it to Revo stage 2+ was running close to 370bhp... Now you have a monster on your hands... But very usable you could drop the clutch at 4k and it would just launch you into the back seats... 0-60 was close to 5seconds and I personally had 184mph out of mine on flat

After about 4months I took it back standard and traded in for an e46 m3 which was savage and loads more fun as you have to be on point at all times when driving it fast or you would just die!! ... If I was you fella I would get an m3. Audi just drive themselves

I am back in a Dc5 now so even after all the power from both cars the drivability of the dc5 is far better than any car I have owned

Hope that helps

bennn

Advanced Member
I had an 8L Audi S3 for about 3 months and still rate it as one of the most boring cars I've had the displeasure of driving.

I imagine the 8P is similar. I've not driven one but been in one and would describe the experience as boring, plus the 2.0 Turbo engine sounded like a washing machine.

My house mate has just bought an E46 M3 that I drove Monday night. It was awesome. Definitely where I'd be putting my money if I was you.

HR Imports

Parts Trader
Went out in a mates brand new Golf R recently which has to be pretty similar to an S3 with the 4wd. I was impressed with it's pace. Feels so much power on tap with the torque and it really moves. Brakes were excellent and it certainly didn't struggle for grip on what was a wet day. It made a great noise on the shifts but I've heard some artificial noise is pumped through the cabin. Even hearing it from outside though it has that rally-esque popping from the backbox which sounds great. Interior very nice place to be and very solid feeling but just as everyone else has said it lacks something you get from a Honda. I guess the word would be "Soul".

A Teg feels very much alive and alert and gives you the feeling you get rewarded when you really drive it but despite the straight line speed, the acceleration and the nicely tuned exhaust note it's just figures and it didn't do it for me. We all know the Teg is not the greatest traffic light warrior but we also know it's a thoroughbred when it gets on a track and nothing in its class really comes close.

Erm

Advanced Member
I had one for a month whilst my DC5 was off the road getting resprayed.

Was a 2011 S3......Boring drive. Quick and powerful, but felt like I was sitting on my sofa playing a videogame. Wouldn't ever swap my DC5 for one though, far too boring a drive. I actually disliked it more than my other half's Mini Cooper S which is more engaging a drive.

armjoker

Advanced Member
josh92 said:
I sold my first dc5 as my friend was.selling his s3 cheap at 10k for a 08 low mileage lovely car as all audis are there comfort cars.. Obvs the s3 is fast but not as fast as they should be
.. Used to race my friend when he owned it and although on the straights he would slightly pull away was nothing major... The 4wd system is quality though.... After about a week of owning it I tuned it to Revo stage 2+ was running close to 370bhp... Now you have a monster on your hands... But very usable you could drop the clutch at 4k and it would just launch you into the back seats... 0-60 was close to 5seconds and I personally had 184mph out of mine on flat

After about 4months I took it back standard and traded in for an e46 m3 which was savage and loads more fun as you have to be on point at all times when driving it fast or you would just die!! ... If I was you fella I would get an m3. Audi just drive themselves

I am back in a Dc5 now so even after all the power from both cars the drivability of the dc5 is far better than any car I have owned

Hope that helps
How much it costed you to mode the s3 to 370bhp? how are the running costs compared to teg?

armjoker

Advanced Member
bennn said:
I had an 8L Audi S3 for about 3 months and still rate it as one of the most boring cars I've had the displeasure of driving.

I imagine the 8P is similar. I've not driven one but been in one and would describe the experience as boring, plus the 2.0 Turbo engine sounded like a washing machine.

My house mate has just bought an E46 M3 that I drove Monday night. It was awesome. Definitely where I'd be putting my money if I was you.
How expensive is it to own an M3? tax, service, gas...

josh92

Cost me about 3500 but I bought some parts second hand exhaust fuel pump intercooler induction kit then the software and mapping

Was a fair bit more than the teg I believe but I never worry about figures of mpg so I actually couldn't tell you how close it was... Audi and the m3 arnt much different to run if you drive steady

josh92

M3... £500 tax per year... Am not sure if you get an earlier model of the e46 that it's lower but my 56plate was 500... Services are expensive tyre are expensive..
If you do get one just.make sure it's got the running in service.

bennn

Advanced Member
armjoker said:
How expensive is it to own an M3? tax, service, gas...
You need about £12k for a good one at the moment. 25 MPG tax is about £300 a year.

Servicing is on average £300 every year / 15k.

Set of tyres is £700 for something decent.

Scary bits are any breakages which will easily run into the thousands and a new set of discs and pads all round would set you back over £700 for the parts alone.

bennn

Advanced Member
josh92 said:
M3... £500 tax per year... Am not sure if you get an earlier model of the e46 that it's lower but my 56plate was 500... Services are expensive tyre are expensive..
If you do get one just.make sure it's got the running in service.
Pre 2006 is £300 ish a year. If possible I'd avoid an 06 plate onwards for that reason.

josh92

bennn said:
Pre 2006 is £300 ish a year. If possible I'd avoid an 06 plate onwards for that reason.
👍... Yer mine was the last of the e46 model... On the 56 plate didn't realise till I had bought it and seen my mates tax disc in his on an 02 plate. Was gutted haha... Would just recommended buying from main dealer an approved m3 and get warranty that way you can drive how you want and if out goes wrong obviously apart from crashing then it's covered. But yes brakes and stuff on them cost alot but it's to be expected.

bennn

Advanced Member
josh92 said:
... Yer mine was the last of the e46 model... On the 56 plate didn't realise till I had bought it and seen my mates tax disc in his on an 02 plate. Was gutted haha... Would just recommended buying from main dealer an approved m3 and get warranty that way you can drive how you want and if out goes wrong obviously apart from crashing then it's covered. But yes brakes and stuff on them cost alot but it's to be expected.
Yeah for the money I don't think you could get more car!

BMW will sell you warrenty provided its under 10 years old and less than 100K with FSH. I don't know how much it would be so may not be worth bothering.

I'd just be careful when buying and look after it. Many people have no problems with them.

josh92

That's true...

Unfortunately my mate bought one 97k on clock.. Head went on it... Lucky for him he is a mechanic and did all the work himself the invoice through the company cost over 4k. But only cost him 900
. Now he tracks the car and thrashes it everywhere and it's spot on

bennn

Advanced Member
josh92 said:
That's true...

Unfortunately my mate bought one 97k on clock.. Head went on it... Lucky for him he is a mechanic and did all the work himself the invoice through the company cost over 4k. But only cost him 900
. Now he tracks the car and thrashes it everywhere and it's spot on
That is unfortunate but not a common issue. I have heard reports of head gasket failure but I think that's still relatively uncommon.

If it were me I'd buy and in the knowledge that I may need to spend a few grand on it at some point.

Unfortunately I've just bought my first house so will have to stick to my Clubsport for the foreseeable future :(

armjoker

Advanced Member
Well im in Cyprus so all this warranty and other staff doenst work here :) especially when you buy from a person and not dealer (used cars seller and not specific brand dealer). I found to nice samples that fit in my budget but still afraid of getting one. I dont want to break the bank when something breaks on the car :))
For this reason I thing the s3 is more "grown up" if you could call it like that. And it makes around 35mpg. also it has 2.0l engine vs 3.2l on road tax it will make huge difference. And insurance will be cheaper on s3. I guess.

http://www.bestcypruscar.com/carDetails.php?n=1&car_id=200402
http://www.bestcypruscar.com/carDetails.php?n=1&car_id=197646

bennn

Advanced Member
armjoker said:
Well im in Cyprus so all this warranty and other staff doenst work here :) especially when you buy from a person and not dealer (used cars seller and not specific brand dealer). I found to nice samples that fit in my budget but still afraid of getting one. I dont want to break the bank when something breaks on the car :))
For this reason I thing the s3 is more "grown up" if you could call it like that. And it makes around 35mpg. also it has 2.0l engine vs 3.2l on road tax it will make huge difference. And insurance will be cheaper on s3. I guess.

http://www.bestcypruscar.com/carDetails.php?n=1&car_id=200402
http://www.bestcypruscar.com/carDetails.php?n=1&car_id=197646
You'll have more fun in a horse drawn turnip wagon than an S3 and that will probably cost you even less to run ;)