Awful noise when cold.

alg2500

I've done a search and found a couple of things related, but want to just check to see it's the same and what the solution is.

When the engine is cold I get a strange vibration and noise when at low speeds. As soon as I accelerate it's fine and after the engine is warm the noise and vibrations goes away.

What is this and how do I get rid of the problem?

JT3173

Advanced Member
I get an awfull hopping when the car is cold, if you back off the throttle in any gear the jerking will send you through the windscreen.

Mine revs at about 2000 rpm for the first 1-2 minutes or so, this is blo#dy loud, is this what your on about?

I have now turned to just letting the car warm up on idle and then holding the throttle at about 2500 rpm for a minute or so, just to get some heat into the engine, seems to work as when I drive off its fine.

dotty

Advanced Member
JT3173 said:
I get an awfull hopping when the car is cold, if you back off the throttle in any gear the jerking will send you through the windscreen.

Mine revs at about 2000 rpm for the first 1-2 minutes or so, this is blo#dy loud, is this what your on about?

I have now turned to just letting the car warm up on idle and then holding the throttle at about 2500 rpm for a minute or so, just to get some heat into the engine, seems to work as when I drive off its fine.
I tend to let the car idle for a minute or two before I set off as well :)

alg2500

Yep sounds exactly the same - can really feel it through the bottom of the car when I back off the accelerator to a stand still or when I'm accelerating from a stand still.

As soon as hit 2k rpm it disapears and when the engine is fully warm it's fine.

You haven't found a solution to it then other than warming it up first?

alg2500

May try Honda and see if they know of similar problems with the EP3. I'm easily bugged by things like this.

alg2500

That wouldn't explain why it goes away when warm though?

In a search I seem to remember someone saying that it was something to do with the clutch.

alg2500

Turned out to be an engine mount - doing whilst cold was just a coincidence, now it's all the time.

I just have to make sure I have a dump before I set off at the moment otherwise the vibration will cause a disaster.

Should be getting sorted today.