B&M Short Shifter

D@nCeR

Advanced Member
anyone know where i can get either an installation manual and a list of parts that should come with one of these.. i am starting to think theres some parts missing...

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
where's best place to buy this from in the uk or is it an import item?

i read that its better build than the buddyclub? is it actually better? or same but different brand so to speak? thanks.

Suped

Advanced Member
Ed, TGM does the B&M shifter. Always has in stock. I have one but modified with a brace for upshift - courtesey of Tom.

Build quality wise, B&M no doubt, nothing beats abit of shiney billet metal. BC comes out the box with the housing and fixing, whereas B&M require abit more work. Adjustability goes to BC as B&M setting is fixed.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Suped said:
Ed, TGM does the B&M shifter. Always has in stock. I have one but modified with a brace for upshift - courtesey of Tom.

Build quality wise, B&M no doubt, nothing beats abit of shiney billet metal. BC comes out the box with the housing and fixing, whereas B&M require abit more work. Adjustability goes to BC as B&M setting is fixed.
best get tom to fit it then? :p

whats with the modified brace with upshift about? and what sense is the B&M settings fixed. Can you PM me cost of it and fitting so i know ;) might have to get this done as well

D@nCeR

Advanced Member
i fitted mine yesterday in about an hour, pretty simple just a pain in the backside

Suped

Advanced Member
Dancer, did you use plenty of white grease on all the bearings?

Ed, its actually quite straight forward to fit. After tempting fate on the central interior, Tom would be best for the job! lol

The brace is basically put in place if you upshift with gorilla arms.... stops excess travel of the gear lever going further than it should. Great little mod and sure does help.

here's my poor attempt at explaining short shifter.. basically, the lever is connected to the gear link cable. The higher the link, the shorter the throw. (or vice versa, can never remember). The BC version allows for abit of adjustment up/down. Whereas the B&M is fixed on a height and cannot be moved.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Suped said:

Ed, its actually quite straight forward to fit. After tempting fate on the central interior, Tom would be best for the job! lol

The brace is basically put in place if you upshift with gorilla arms.... stops excess travel of the gear lever going further than it should. Great little mod and sure does help.

here's my poor attempt at explaining short shifter.. basically, the lever is connected to the gear link cable. The higher the link, the shorter the throw. (or vice versa, can never remember). The BC version allows for abit of adjustment up/down. Whereas the B&M is fixed on a height and cannot be moved.
so the brace part stops you (or shall i say lessen the chance) of redling from when moving 5th gear to 2nd lol

im hoping that the B&M throw is a lot shorter than the BC one :D

how much are these things then ;) and fitting

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
just to add my 2p, i used to have a DC Sports short shifter in my DC2 and it was awesome! - another manufacturer to maybe add into the decision making process?

isn't the DC5 throw a fair bit shorted than the 2 anyway though?

D@nCeR

Advanced Member
Suped said:

Yeah used plenty grease...

and the B&M has 2 settings for different % 's of shift decrease.. upper is 35% and lower is 25% ive got mine on the 35% one and its amazing.[/b]

Jayk

Advanced Member
I used a B&M, was good but it bent my shift arm that connects to it. Struggled getting gears etc. Took it of and would never put it on again. Would try a buddyclub one, but dont think i'll use one again.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
i assume this is installed in the same way as the buddyclub one?

i got a quote from TGM, but i think i might try and undo all the centre console myself to save on some labour costs, but will see... im a bit lazy :p

Jayk

Advanced Member
nope, just check on unit 8, the buddyclub comes with a whole new housing, alot better imo.

jay82

Advanced Member
i've a buddy club waiting to go in and i picked it cause i searched the forum and there was alot postive comments till this post :lol:
i'll let use no how it is when i get it installed after my nct.

D@nCeR

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
i assume this is installed in the same way as the buddyclub one?

i got a quote from TGM, but i think i might try and undo all the centre console myself to save on some labour costs, but will see... im a bit lazy :p
theres 4 screws and 2 plastic screws (which are more like clips) unscrew ya gearknob then bobs ya uncle..

theres 4 bolts and 2 clips keeping the gear selector in..

after that the only tricky bit is getting the old bracket out.. once its out ya talking 10mins and jobs done.