[b]Remove speed restrictor[/b]

jborda

All Jap exports have the speed restricted to 180 kph; I have checked on how to remove the restrictor but the advise that i got is that you have to change the ecu; and if you order a new one from Honda, it will come with the same restriction; therefore no go. Are there any ECUs around that have the same program as the factory spec but without the speed limit, or can my existing chip be reprogrammed?
Cheers

gregb

Advanced Member
get an apexi rsm or similar,it derestricts the ecu and the rsm gives you many other features :wink:
should cost @£130

Duncs

in uk we just fit a speed converter (kmh to mph) and this eliminates the speed restrictor.

Ken A

Advanced Member
Hondata or any aftermarket ECU also lifts this restriction, although a little more expensive just for this job alone. These are best changed after engine mods are done.

ally_mac

Advanced Member
ITR BOY said:
http://importsolutions.co.uk/SCU/SCU_make.asp

When I done the SVA prep I had to change the speedo from KPH to MPH, this chip converters this and also de restricts the car, there bout £55 and not hard to fit.
The converter your talking about doesnt remove the speed restricter, as you have changed your speedo from kmh to mph, it simple changes the restricter fom 180kmh to 180mph as far as i know

ITR BOY

Advanced Member
Which is de-restricting it from its 180 kph.

I doubt you are going to go above 180mph in the DC5, unless stupidly modified.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Mines not stupidly modified but ive seen the speedo needle not far off that mark!!

jborda

i checked about the conversion from kph to mph. In doing so, you will make the spedo go slower (not the car). However, I do not like the option to have incorrect figures showing or the dash, nor to trick the car that it is doing 180mph instead of kph. I wish to do a normal job on the ECU either by fitting a new one that retains the factory program or else by reprogramming the existing ECU with the same program but without the restriction.

ITR BOY

Advanced Member
When the DC5 is imported over here most import dealers will have this done as part of the SVA test, the chips are spot on, and ive checked the speed on my clock next to GPS and was very accurate. Also when this is fitted,your Odometer will from then on clock up in Miles instead of Kilometers, so most people tend to get the Milage reset to show Miles.

I very much doubt a DC5 will do 180mph,as all speedo's are out, more so when at higher speeds, to achieve this, as said, the car would have to be heavily modified with probably different gearing.

ally_mac

Advanced Member
ITR BOY said:
Which is de-restricting it from its 180 kph.

I doubt you are going to go above 180mph in the DC5, unless stupidly modified.
I know the DC5 wont do 180mph unless it has major mods and even then i dont think it will, im just saying, tht the speed restricter is still present in the car, its just moved from 180kmh to 180mph

AdrianK

Advanced Member
ITR BOY said:
when this is fitted,your Odometer will from then on clock up in Miles instead of Kilometers, so most people tend to get the Milage reset to show Miles.
What do you mean by reset to show miles?

My DC5 had 25k km on the clock when it was imported (roughly) and now shows 32k ish, so its actually done less than 32k miles, nearer 25k miles.

I didnt think you could change the milage clock, otherwise it would be easy to just take a few miles off...

dobber

Advanced Member
AdrianK said:
ITR BOY said:
when this is fitted,your Odometer will from then on clock up in Miles instead of Kilometers, so most people tend to get the Milage reset to show Miles.
What do you mean by reset to show miles?

My DC5 had 25k km on the clock when it was imported (roughly) and now shows 32k ish, so its actually done less than 32k miles, nearer 25k miles.

I didnt think you could change the milage clock, otherwise it would be easy to just take a few miles off...
When imported it had previously clocked up in Kilometers as shown on the dials. Once its been SVA's it then clocks up in miles, so any miliage after SVA will be in miles, anything prior will be in kilometers. If you look at your dials you will see on your car tehy have put a little black sticker over the K. So instead of it saying KMH it says MH = miles per hour :)

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
The Apexi RSM DOES deresrict the car, as already mentioned (if I remember correctly, the wiring diagram and instruction manual tell you how to use this feature). I had an RSM on my UK S2000, so although I didn't need to do the de-restriction, I clearly remember it mentioned in the manual.

On a similar note, my car had done around 22,000 km when it was converted, so this 22k km became 22k miles. The mileage currently reads about 37,000 miles, but in reality it's about 29,000. I assume there's no way to correct this? It is quite annoying...