B16 settings

24R

I've looked through many posts about the Bilstein B16s and am still trying to find out what people who have had them a while set theirs to.

I had mine recently adjusted by Neil Garner Motorsport along with the geometry and they corner weighted the car but they didn't venture into damper settings.

I understand that there may be big variations depending on how people use their car.. track, race, fast road, chicken coup... but ideas will help.

I removed Apexi N1 coilovers which were like solid bar on the road but fantastic on track.

If I've missed an obvious thread/post can you point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Full soft (clockwise) on the road front and rear.

On track I tend to dial the rear to the hardest (fully counterclockwise) and the fronts 3-4 off max stiffness.

I'm still experimenting though.

I don't really drive the car hard on the road, I find full soft feels OEM like and soaks up bumps but still offers decent handling.

If it were a fast road car I'd be tempted to try 50% stiff at the back and 20-30% on the front which should sharpen things up without compromising ride comfort too much.

Don't forget that due to the way that all dampers are, there will be less actual change per adjustment as you get to the min/max settings of the dampers. So the last click will make less of a difference than middle +/-1.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Full soft (clockwise) on the road front and rear.

On track I tend to dial the rear to the hardest (fully counterclockwise) and the fronts 3-4 off max stiffness.

I'm still experimenting though.

I don't really drive the car hard on the road, I find full soft feels OEM like and soaks up bumps but still offers decent handling.

If it were a fast road car I'd be tempted to try 50% stiff at the back and 20-30% on the front which should sharpen things up without compromising ride comfort too much.

Don't forget that due to the way that all dampers are, there will be less actual change per adjustment as you get to the min/max settings of the dampers. So the last click will make less of a difference than middle +/-1.
Mine are set to one away from the firmest setting up front, and the firmest setting at the rear. Admittedly mine is only a weekend car but I don't find it a problem to live with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liam

Advanced Member
I run mine 7 front and rear on the road - 9 felt a bit too bouncy imo. Coming from Buddyclub N+ (10k front, 14k rear springs) the B16s are firmer than I expected, but much better at absorbing bumps.

Haven't done a track day with them yet but I tend to go stiffer front and softer rear. I'll probably start at 3 front and rear then go from there.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Stiffer on the front will just promote huge understeer, there's a reason every coilover set you buy has stiffer springs on the rear.

adam.

Advanced Member
Personally, I ran mine fully-stiff at all times. (Giggity)

Anything else felt a bit 'bouncy'.

24R

thanks everyone.

I figured personal preference would kick in but jus wondered if a general agreement on specific ratings had been decided..

i'll experiment and establish a feel for it.