Bad drive shaft or bearing?

mikeyw85

Whilst changing my brakes, my mechanic noticed play in the drivers side front wheel. With the ax jacked up it could wobble slightly. We fit a new bearing and the wobble has gone away.

A few days later the car developed a slight scratchy grinding noise, generated by something spinning. A bit like a bearing that's knackered or something. Hard to describe though. Today it did some clicking while on full lock, but I couldn't repeat it. I jacked the car up and if you spin the wheel back and forth, I can hear a clunk when the drive shaft engages. Should it be loose like there's some play? Also, there's some knocking when going no over bumps at low speed.

Any other ideas?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Also make sure the driveshaft nut has been tightened properly, 245nm. If it is any less then I have noticed the wheel can wobble so it must pull the hub in. Unlikely to be loose but it's worth a check.

mikeyw85

Thanks for the replies.

The scratchy grinding noise is actually more like a metallic buzzing sound, or rapid rattling. I don't know if that's any more familiar to anyone.