Baffled sump inserts

Dannymean

Advanced Member
Was looking at either the drop in baffle or the tegiwa inserts which need welding in , was just wondering would the inserts do the same job as the drop in ones ? As the inserts are much cheaper than the drop in baffle. Thanks

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
I have the tegiwa baffle. it's a replica kit of the spoon baffled sump i believe. Does it's job. If you can find someone who can weld aluminium it's the cheapest solution.

spooke

Advanced Member
I read a bad review of the Clockwise from SoHonda Garage's experience of it not doing it's job... He swapped to a Mugen sump which was worked, I imagine Spoon Sports is similar. Sabberjoch out of curiosity how much did it cost you to get the Tegiwa one fitted?

Dannymean

Advanced Member
Yeah the drop in ones look the easiest as they basically just drop in , then I see the tegiwa inserts which require welding in but they are half the cost , may just go for the inserts depending how much they are to weld in etc ...

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
CPL dropin is the same as the Clockwise one, and I have never heard of anyone having any issues running these. Easy drop in solution.

Can easily install DIY by lowering the subframe (4 bolts - remove front 2 and slacken rear 2 from memory) and remove sump bolts, break seal and tidy up, fit baffle, new sealant and refit.

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
Didn't cost me anything spooke. The company i'm doing my internship at is Altrex, they make aluminium scaffolding equipment. So i just took my sump and the baffle kit with me and asked a welder if he could do it for my.

Bought the guy a special beer for it :)

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Depending on where you are based, TGM also do their own one I believe. They are by Fleet (M3).

TGM are always well priced so could be worth a call.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Had Clockwise in my old EP3 as have a lot of the Lotus guys and never had a problem.

My DC5 is at TGM at the moment having a baffled dump put in it. Didn't realise they had their own, I just assumed it was the Clockwise one.

spooke

Advanced Member
I rephrased my post, maybe he just had a duff one. Good to hear they are fine to use as it seems a lot easier than welding inserts :D

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Tgm did my one, iirc it was there own one which I believe is based on the clockwise drop in one, adding to this if it didn't work am sure Tom would have something to say about this!! As the one he had left at the time was for the fn2 race car. Lol

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
TGM always used to do their own which was based on the spoon one, which is what i had with no problems , they used to be in all the tgm cars, they might have changed to a drop in type for ease these days , Tom would need to confirm that

wj51fut

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
TGM always used to do their own which was based on the spoon one, which is what i had with no problems , they used to be in all the tgm cars, they might have changed to a drop in type for ease these days , Tom would need to confirm that
Tom put a clockwise one in when the engine got rebuilt. Very good price too. No issues from me. 👍🏻

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I have one of TGM baffled sumps which they did on an exchange basis, this included the labour to change the oil and filter at £175 ex VAT. If you're having other work done there anyway its a no brainer.

Linus27

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
When I mentioned to Tom last week about them, he said he has them in stock so I wonder if it is their own still as you mention.

Fez

Advanced Member
When people are fitting the clockwise ones and then saying "no issues with mine" have you datalogged the oil pressure while cornering hard, on road or track? Or just because the light hasn't come on you assume its okay?

Just curious :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
im not sure which version he is fitting now, but the spoon version that was fitted was on my car for 2 years with no oil issues,

its hard to datalog oil pressure unless you have a aftermarket ecu (not hondata) as the car doesnt log oil pressure as std. i did 2 seasons of time attack many miles and track days and its still going in scotland now with the same motor so i guess it worked ok.

Fez

Advanced Member
You could also run an aftermarket oil pressure sensor and wire it in to the hondata and it will log it that way. And it will be brought up on the mobile app too.

The spoon version/style is the one i'd be tempted by if i were to baffle my sump.