Baffled Sump - Mugen / Spoon / Clockwise?

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Anyone know much about the Mugen baffled sump?

I was looking to purchase the Spoon one but they have recently increased their price by 20% (thanks Brexit) and it's putting me off.

So I have been looking at the Mugen one but the designs seem to be very different.

Spoon has a large metal plate going across the sump, whereas the Mugen only seems to have some small pieces of metal at the very end:

http://hondaperformanceparts.co.uk/mugen-oil-sump-k20-dc5-ep3-k20a

Does anyone know if there is a better one out of the two? Also considering a drop-in.

spooke

Advanced Member
I think the majority run a Clockwise, or Tegiwa *Spoon Replica*. From what I've read the Clockwise does the job and is the cheapest option of them all, TGM used to do a weld-in baffle but now use Clockwise as I imagine it's less hassle.

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
+1 on the clockwise had mine fitted by tgm like spooke said a lot easier & a lot cheaper than mugen or spoon as its a Honda sump anyway.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Thanks guys. Going to call Tom when I get back from work travels and see what he recommends.

I'll be in for a service in October so will get whatever I decide on ordered so it's ready to be fitted at the same time.

Fez

Advanced Member
Look in to 'Tractuff' they do baffles, i just recently got one off them, it was about £35 shipped iirc, and it bolts to the oil pump and works the same as the mugen one, which just stops the oil sloshing up to the timing chain.
I nearly bought the clockwise but after seeing datalogs of SHG's dc5 losing oil pressure with one fitted (which they then replaced with the mugen pan) i chose against it.

Tractuff do other bolt in baffles and can go as far as pretty much making a custom sump afiak.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Interesting. Got a link to any information about SHG's Clockwise experience?

Did they feed that information back to Clockwise to see what their thoughts on it were?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Look in to 'Tractuff' they do baffles, i just recently got one off them, it was about £35 shipped iirc, and it bolts to the oil pump and works the same as the mugen one, which just stops the oil sloshing up to the timing chain.
I nearly bought the clockwise but after seeing datalogs of SHG's dc5 losing oil pressure with one fitted (which they then replaced with the mugen pan) i chose against it.

Tractuff do other bolt in baffles and can go as far as pretty much making a custom sump afiak.
That looks to be a good/cheaper alternative to the Clockwise baffle, have you had it fitted yet? Curious to know if this is "enough" for the odd track day, it seems like it would.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Fez said:

Have you got a link to the tractuff one you purchased?

Or is Google going to be my friend? Haha

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Fez said:
http://tractuff.com/products/tractuff-oil-pump-baffle

Thats the one i bought.

I fitted it last week, along with an oil pressure gauge so don't know what my pressure was pre fitting it, but i've just got back from the ring and i tried my best to keep and eye on it and it didn't seem to drop at all.
If it stood up to the ring I'm happy :p, will definitely get one, how long did it take and did you get any customs? Thanks for sharing it.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Fez said:
http://tractuff.com/products/tractuff-oil-pump-baffle

Thats the one i bought.

I fitted it last week, along with an oil pressure gauge so don't know what my pressure was pre fitting it, but i've just got back from the ring and i tried my best to keep and eye on it and it didn't seem to drop at all.
See I thought this one looked a bit more beefy, do you know the difference as i can't make it out with all of their spiel lol

http://tractuff.com/products/tractuff-bolt-in-k-series-oil-pan-baffle

adam.

Advanced Member
Fez said:
That's interesting, and frustrating. Just 2 weeks ago I had the clockwise one installed!

Fez

Advanced Member
spooke said:
If it stood up to the ring I'm happy :p, will definitely get one, how long did it take and did you get any customs? Thanks for sharing it.
It was about a week iirc, and no customs on it, we ordered 2 (one for my mate aswell) so good going :)

Fez

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
See I thought this one looked a bit more beefy, do you know the difference as i can't make it out with all of their spiel lol

http://tractuff.com/products/tractuff-bolt-in-k-series-oil-pan-baffle

Yeah i liked the look of that too and a very good price, but it involved a bit more fitting and i knew i wouldn't have the time to do it, and could be quite hard with the engine in situ. If i were to ever see a drop in oil pressure i would choose that one, im pretty sure i read somewhere that it fits with the baffle i have too, but it doesn't say it on either of the pages. Perhaps it was on his IG account.

He seems to do alot of R&D for his products, and improving them all the time if he thinks its needed.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Yeah i liked the look of that too and a very good price, but it involved a bit more fitting and i knew i wouldn't have the time to do it, and could be quite hard with the engine in situ. If i were to ever see a drop in oil pressure i would choose that one, im pretty sure i read somewhere that it fits with the baffle i have too, but it doesn't say it on either of the pages. Perhaps it was on his IG account.

He seems to do alot of R&D for his products, and improving them all the time if he thinks its needed.
Cheers for the reply.

Well my sump will be out so it's just as easy to fit either.

So do you think I should go for the one I linked?

Fez

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Cheers for the reply.

Well my sump will be out so it's just as easy to fit either.

So do you think I should go for the one I linked?

Yeah man :) that will work fine :)
Could be worth emailing him and seeing if the other one fits too and get them both? If it does it will be extra protection from the oil going up to the chain.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Yeah man :) that will work fine :)
Could be worth emailing him and seeing if the other one fits too and get them both? If it does it will be extra protection from the oil going up to the chain.
Great idea, nice one buddy

Fez

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Great idea, nice one buddy

I dont think i would have made it up.. But cant find any proof of it haha.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all I was about to buy a baffle for my sump and was going to go clockwise, then I looked at both Toda and Spoon sumps but have come across this thread and seen the 'Tractuff' stuff mentioned.

Anyone know what's best from all this, anyone else brought he 'Tractuff' and if so what one did you buy or both so I can ensure I buy the best as link with Tonksy's initial post the price of the Toda which I really wanted and Spoon items are very hight now :-(

Thanks