Ball joints

donkeykong

Advanced Member
Searched already and found some topics. I would like to hear what the buddyclub roll adjusters are like. Alucardo wrote they didnt last a year, can anybody tell me if these are suited for road use? I understand that it is a part that has to endure a lot of stress on the road, specially when the road is bad. A full replacement from honda is way too expensive and they do not sell seperate. Also i would like to know if the extended joints make the track rods more horizontal? Thanks for the feedback.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Tegiwa sell a re-shaped steering arm centre bracket which relocates the join between the two arms to a higher point. This would level out the steering arms, but i'm not sure the ball joints alone would do it.
The bracket was £65 the last time I checked.

Bonito

Advanced Member
They're savage. Friend of mine has a set on his DC2 for 4 years now and they're still perfect. My DC5 will be getting them soon aswell.

donkeykong

Advanced Member
Thanks guys, the steering bracket i have installed already. I dont want to raise it more than it is.
Just wanted too know about the ball joints

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Have your ball joints worn? If not I wouldnt bother if there's no real need. I have them on mine and they've been fine since March. I think the trick with making them last is to make sure the boot rubbers are properly secured after fitting. They can easily get pulled about and if there's any room for grit to get in they won't last.

One other thing is they are a nightmare to fit. I ended up buying a press just for this job!

donkeykong

Advanced Member
thanks david, know you need a press :(
anyway there is some play on my wheel and think it's coming from these, track rods fine.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Check drive shaft for play first. Think if it's ball joints most of the play will be up and down when wobbling the wheel. Jack it up just to check. You probably could do it without a press but you'd end up having to hammer the new units in which wouldn't be ideal really.
If I were you and it definitely is them I'd remove the wishbone arms and take them to a local garage to swap over.

paul hughes

Most local garages can do the Job as they have presses for stuff like wheel bearing jobs etc. up and down play will deffinately be balljoints, or if you have coil overs it may be the bottom locking collar is loose, We have sold 100s of Buddyclub Roll Centre balljoints and never had one complaint about durability over time, we have sold them for 4 years now. Its an hour per side if you have a press.

RCAs dont make much difference on a std ride height car, but their effect increaces as you lower the car more and more. they are around 12mm longer but during their development we used LCA cones around 25-30mm longer on certain tracks with very fast corners as it helps the tyre bite and reduces understeer.

P.S. DO NOT use a hammer for any of the operation as you risk clouting the rubber boot, this needs to be kept intact for obvious reasons. but we do sell spare boots (£4) for those of you who cannot contain your anger :)

donkeykong

Advanced Member
Thanks paul, i just have to replace them and it's a better option then oem ones. the right part number is EP1EBJ-H001 dc5 the H004 is for the rsx ep3 right?

paul hughes

donkeykong said:
Thanks paul, i just have to replace them and it's a better option then oem ones. the right part number is EP1EBJ-H001 dc5 the H004 is for the rsx ep3 right?
sorry i didnt reply to this. this part number isnt a Buddyclub EU part number. ? where did you find it ?

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Paul, have you had any experience with the steering rack riser bracket? Fitted alongside the rca's?