Banging and crashing on launch

George K

Advanced Member
Did my first hill climb event at the weekend in a 2005 car with less than 7,000 miles, and considertng that the tyres are gripless (seem to have gone off on the boat) I had an enjoyable outing. My plan is to stay standard for the rest of the season and then develop it over the winter.

However there is one pressing problem. Off the start line, which is a first gear dash to a 90 degree left, as the car breaks traction, - which is almost unavoidable as the tarmac is quite shiny, there is a lot of banging and crashing at the front end. It could be the wheels bouncing up and down, but guess it is most likely to be the engine moving around. Would a good top stabiliser help, or is the real answer to go for uprated engine mounts. I don't want it to become too harsh for road use, so am looking for the best compromise - yet another request for advise please.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Get a ESMM insert on the rear and put on a J's RAcing Torque dampener. Will help a lot and save your manifold if you're doing a lot of racing!

j30l

Advanced Member
The Mugen engine mounts feature increased mounting angle and strengthened rubber. The Mugen engine mounts reduce engine movement at high load for reduced drivetrain losses and potential engine damage.
so basically standard stiffness when stationary and stiffen up under load.

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
George K said:
.... which is almost unavoidable as the tarmac is quite shiny, there is a lot of banging and crashing at the front end. It could be the wheels bouncing up and down, but guess it is most likely to be the engine moving around...
I know the car isn't that old, but first of all you should check your engine mounts are OK. One of mine had gone and I experienced pretty bad wheel hop as your describing. TGM fitted an insert just to the broken one (the front one), rather than fitting the pair, so that the comfort and noise level wasn't heavily effected. Apparently quite a few go for this option...

I still get the odd bit of hop, but nothing like before, happy days. :D

The Mofo

Advanced Member
I used to get this problem all the time but since I've had by ESMM inserts the problem appears to have gone. I personally didn't find that the Engine damper did anything but make a funny noise, but lots of people of here seem to like them.

LeeH

Advanced Member
Is the rear one you fit if you're just fitting the 1.

I was going to try just the front as its the better one to change...

Anyone?

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
LeeH said:
Is the rear one you fit if you're just fitting the 1.

I was going to try just the front as its the better one to change...

Anyone?
Tom at TGM says it's the front one that he's always putting on, as it's the common one that breaks. Whether it's the most effective to stop wheel hop is another thing though... :roll:

As said previously I have had the front one (only) done and it's cut the problem down no end! xthumbup