Banzai, Dec 2015 (ep3 k&n typhoon - impressive result)

adamamuk

Advanced Member
Hey guys, anyone read the most recent issue of Banzai?

In the 'our cars' section, Sam is running a standard ep3 and has just added a k&n typhoon induction system.

Anyway, reading the article prior to fitting he dyno'd at 196bhp (amazing for a 12 yr old car with in excess of 100k miles) then after fitment it was running an impressive 211.3bhp without a remap.

Used to run one on my gen 7 Celica but never had it dyno'd.
Just thought I'd share as it sounded pretty impressive and I'm guessing can most likely be used on the dc5 too.

Pic of article:

adam.

Advanced Member
Having just put a TegiwaM on mine, if you'd have said I'd get those kind of gains I'd have called bull-shit.

However, I can't quite believe the difference it made!

beppe786

Beppe
dyno might ready happy.. take to it another dyno and he might struggle to get 180HP

point is dyno numbers mean jack! just a tuning tool

adam.

Advanced Member
beppe said:
dyno might ready happy.. take to it another dyno and he might struggle to get 180HP

point is dyno numbers mean jack! just a tuning tool
Normally, I'd agree with you. You can fudge anything with a DDRR.

But my understanding is that the car was dyno'd, airbox fitted, dyno'd again, all within a small time frame.

Er-go, decent gains.

Chewy

Advanced Member
adam. said:
Normally, I'd agree with you. You can fudge anything with a DDRR.

But my understanding is that the car was dyno'd, airbox fitted, dyno'd again, all within a small time frame.

Er-go, decent gains.
This ^

I understand that different dynos give different results.

I also understand that there are too many variables, in terms of temperatures, air flow , If you changed your socks that morning...etc.

But yeah, Same day same dyno, the different in the increase, is just that, surley?

I call bull on a K&N gaining 15bhp increase mapped, let alone unmapped on a K20a2...but there must be something to the gains (Suggesting the numbers haven't been fabricated out of mid air).

2ndy

Advanced Member
I have a typhoon on my ep3 And they make a really good difference top end although I do think you lose some of the power down low.. Worth it for the noise anyway

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Supposed to sound great. Still find them gains a bit hard to believe.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

adamamuk

Advanced Member
When I first read it and it said a 15bhp gain, was a bit like wtf, this cant be right?!
Good to hear peoples comments though!

adam.

Advanced Member
BHP gains are all pub talk anyway, 15BHP gain is in the middle of vtec, not a peak power gain.

Peak power is only delivered at a tiny percentage of the rev range, so it's all a load of bollocks.

But, the important bit is that the blue line is above the red line. ;)

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
adam. said:
BHP gains are all pub talk anyway, 15BHP gain is in the middle of vtec, not a peak power gain.

Peak power is only delivered at a tiny percentage of the rev range, so it's all a load of testes.

But, the important bit is that the blue line is above the red line. ;)
Average BHP gains across the range would be a better guide to increase in performance, although people are always obsessed with peak bhp :xvtec:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
K&N do a pretty good job of induction kits, its what they do at the end of the day, and they will have dyno tested several cars im sure when producing it.

i would also say 15 gain is a bit keen