BC coilover seized

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Trying to raise the front of my car 5mm before geo.

All the locking collars undo nicely but the threaded part of the shock to adjust the height i can't get to budge.

Any tips?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
As above get some WD40 in there, are you doing this by hand as it can be quite hard to do, or after unlocking the height collar are you trying to turn it using the upper spring locking collar with the c spanner?

Midnight

Advanced Member
Once you have used penetration spray and its moving I'd suggest greasing the collar/thread so that there is an easier chance to adjust at a later date.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I tried everything on mine, even down to gripping the collar with a pipe wrench with the base in a vice. I had to cut the collar off but still couldn't free the body from the base. Nothing worked so I got new coilovers in the end.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
These coilovers are only 9 months old not a bit of rust anywhere on them. Had Tegiwa socks on them as well.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
As above get some WD40 in there, are you doing this by hand as it can be quite hard to do, or after unlocking the height collar are you trying to turn it using the upper spring locking collar with the c spanner?
Yeah doing by hand mate on the car. Unlocked the bottom collar, the two top collars locked together to rotate the shock but it won't budge.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
With winter and the salt I wouldn't be surprised though if they have corroded inside the threads.
One of the main reasons I went with Bilstein is because the spring sits on a perch that screws up and down the outside of the shock body, so there is minimal chance of anything seizing.

Liam

Advanced Member
As suggested, try a good penetrating oil like plus gas and something over the end of your C spanner for more leverage.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Liam said:
As suggested, try a good penetrating oil like plus gas and something over the end of your C spanner for more leverage.
Going to give it another go tomorrow.

Shall i order this stuff? Wd40 is all I have at the mo.