Bendix/pinnion probs are back.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Its back again but this time with a vengeance. I've just fitted a new Yuasa battery and its spin speed on start up is brisk, to say the least.

Its brought with it the starter motor problem where by the pinion/bendix fails to quickly disengage from the fly wheel resulting in that screech as if you have held the key to long in the start position.

Has anyone removed the starter motor and sorted this well known problem.

If not has anyone tried some lube on the shaft that carried the above bits.

I'm getting a bit sick of saying to the newbies, they all do this.

Granty. Whitby, North Yorkshire. Suns still out but desperate.

spooke

Advanced Member
I bought a refurbed starter motor... It seemed quite expensive to refurb one via Honda.

Mine makes a horrific racket from cold, embarrassing to say the least lol. I'm going to strip it one day and try and lube it up. Will let you know if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granty1056

Advanced Member
spooke said:
I bought a refurbed starter motor... It seemed quite expensive to refurb one via Honda.
Hi.

Did it do the job. I'm getting to a point where I'm prepared to pay whatever it takes to get it sorted.

I'm sure I read that one of the forum members replaced a starter motor but the problem didn't go away.

Regards.

spooke

Advanced Member
randomjiberish said:
Mine makes a horrific racket from cold, embarrassing to say the least lol. I'm going to strip it one day and try and lube it up. Will let you know if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had mine greased up, fixed it for about a month :D then eventually it failed to engage twice (had to hit it :D)

Granty1056 said:
Hi.

Did it do the job. I'm getting to a point where I'm prepared to pay whatever it takes to get it sorted.

I'm sure I read that one of the forum members replaced a starter motor but the problem didn't go away.

Regards.
Yup no screeches just the lovely Honda starter sound, I run the small OEM Yuasa battery too.

Had it on for 5 and a half months now.