Best budget tyre

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
With my integra now sorted, I will need to replaced all 4 tyres when it reaches the UK. I usually do not skimp on tyres, however I simply have not got the money to spend on the best tyre. Can anybody recommend a half decent budget tyre, I'm looking to spend up to £65 (before fitting) per corner.

I've found these so far, are they any good?

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 - £44.10
Kumho ECSTA KH11 - £ 46.80
Nankang NS-1 - £54.20
Falken Ziex ZE 512 - £61.10
GT Radial CHAMPIRO 45 - £61.40 (these came out very well in a uk test)
Marshal KU17 - £62.00
Fulda CARAT EXELERO - £63.80
Yokohama S306 - £65.80

Thanks in advance! xthumbup

Chris

sinbad

Advanced Member
what about the Toyo Proxes 4 for £64 Camskill?

Not used them yet but from what ive heard they dont sound too bad.

mikegsi

Staff member
pay a little more and get the hankook rs2, failing that ive heard decent reports on some nexens

kingston

Advanced Member
dont go out drinking for a weekend and put the 40quid you saved on getting some hankooks (75 from camskill). Mine have lasted for ages now (2 and a bit trackdays and ltos of motorway mileage are making me think bout selling my spare paradas to get some more of).

If not, buy the best that you can afford

mikegsi

Staff member
nexen n3000 about £50 a corner, not used them myself but have heard good things about them, do what dirty boy says though, the hankooks are a great tyre

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
Ha Ha, I'm already not going out, I'm spending the next 2 months in solitary just to afford the car/insurance. :(

As I said, next time round I won't be skimping on tyres, it's just that I have to 'make do' for now.

The nexen's sound interesting at that price, hey I might even be able to go out at new year!!! LOL Simbad suggested the Toyo Proxes, I've read a few reviews on here, is anybody using them at the moment?

Thanks for all your replies so far guys.

kingston

Advanced Member
TypeGRRR said:
Ha Ha, I'm already not going out, I'm spending the next 2 months in solitary just to afford the car/insurance. :(

As I said, next time round I won't be skimping on tyres, it's just that I have to 'make do' for now.

The nexen's sound interesting at that price, hey I might even be able to go out at new year!!! LOL Simbad suggested the Toyo Proxes, I've read a few reviews on here, is anybody using them at the moment?

Thanks for all your replies so far guys.
So do you not have the cars yet then or something? what you getting the tyres for if you dont?

Mike, i cant believe you think im dirty

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
kingston said:
So do you not have the cars yet then or something? what you getting the tyres for if you dont?
I kind of have the car, it's in Japan atm and have been advised that I will need to change all four tyres when it reaches the UK, as they are all very worn and have been on the car since new (2001 model)

dotty

Advanced Member
I would go for some Toyos maybe T1R ( camskill.co.uk ) I am tempted to try out some Toyo Proxes 4 next time around.

dotty

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
t1r and t1s are pap imo, worse than potenza 040 and 050's!
I have 050s and there is nothing wrong with them :xhuh: , On a recent run around the greasy roads of Essex they didn't really trouble me :eek:

In the dry I have yet to find a better tyre tbh :idea:

kingston

Advanced Member
TypeGRRR said:
kingston said:
I kind of have the car, it's in Japan atm and have been advised that I will need to change all four tyres when it reaches the UK, as they are all very worn and have been on the car since new (2001 model)
should have got new tyres thrown into the deal

id wait until you get the car, no point having tyres sitting around doing nothing

mikegsi

Staff member
dotty said:
mikegsi said:
t1r and t1s are pap imo, worse than potenza 040 and 050's!
I have 050s and there is nothing wrong with them :xhuh: , On a recent run around the greasy roads of Essex they didn't really trouble me :eek:

In the dry I have yet to find a better tyre tbh :idea:
040's on my ctr were ok, nothing special, until one decided to literally fall apart on me at 40mph..........
had some 050's on my teg for a while, they were atrocious, i had one set of alloys with those on and another with g'year f1's, there was no comparing them, the f1's were without doubt the better all round tyre, i would never recommend the 050's to anyone, but as always its horses for courses etc

backwards at 70 on croft circuit as well as a couple of other spins with the 050's has put me off them for life

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Type GRRR if you're anywhere near Scotland i'll take the 4 old tyres off you for £40 and you can get the Hankooks.

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
SpideyMack said:
Type GRRR if you're anywhere near Scotland i'll take the 4 old tyres off you for £40 and you can get the Hankooks.
Afraid not, I couldn't be further away really, I'm in the south east... though I'm intrigued with what you'd want four old tyres for :?

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Trackday - the original Bridgestones are one of the stiffest tyres so even with bare minimum tread would be good for 1 trackday.

keevster

Advanced Member
I have just recently got two Bridgestone 050s put on the front end of my teg.
Not driven it a great deal as its back in the bodyshop, but from what i did drive i can only say good things about the 050s at this point. The grip is extremely good, not a kick in the ar$s of the Advans i had, we weather grip also seems pretty good.
They are obviously softer than the advans on the sidewall, but as i said they are shaping up to be a good tyre, they aint even scrubbed in yet and the grip is pretty superb :lol:

Paul :wink:

conoroneill

Advanced Member
I think you should sell your car, buy a cheaper car and then put good tyres on it.

What's the point of having a good car and putting rubbish tyres on it?

It's the worst thing you could possibly do.

When anyone asks me what the first mod on their DC5 should be I always say "either Bridgestone Potenza RE050As, Pirelli P-Zero Rossos or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric".

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
I think you should sell your car, buy a cheaper car and then put good tyres on it.

What's the point of having a good car and putting rubbish tyres on it?

It's the worst thing you could possibly do.

When anyone asks me what the first mod on their DC5 should be I always say "either Bridgestone Potenza RE050As, Pirelli P-Zero Rossos or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric".
Sell the thing, I've literally just bought it! :shock:

I totally agree, I should have decent tyres on it. However the point of having rubbish tyres is that I can afford the car in the first place. In 10k's time which is about 9 months for me, I'll replace them with something MUCH better.