Best daily for £3000

Liam-R

Advanced Member
Hi guys,
I‘ve still got my dc5 for sale but I‘ve been enjoying using it and part of me is thinking that rather than lowering the price I might be able to keep it and store it for winter. I didn‘t like the idea of having 2 cars but I‘ve seen some decent vehicles for around £3000.
If you had £3000 to spend on a daily what would you go for? I‘m after something 2005 onwards, reasonable to drive, cheapish tax, hatchback or saloon. 320d is slightly pricey but spotted a 2.2 litre diesel accord saloon which had decent reviews and the Honda fan in me was tempted. Not really into Astras or golfs and I‘ve always had Japanese cars but could be persuaded otherwise.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ste01

Advanced Member
Why not just use the integra? If it's not worth a lot then don't worry about adding extra miles to it and just use it. By the time you buy another car, tax it, insure it and maintain it then you won't be saving anything anyway

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Why not just use the integra? If it's not worth a lot then don't worry about adding extra miles to it and just use it. By the time you buy another car, tax it, insure it and maintain it then you won't be saving anything anyway
Exactly this, just drove and enjoy the teg imo, just keep on top of it throughout the winter and maintain it and enjoy it fully mate

Liam-R

Advanced Member
I do less than 1000 miles a month usually. It‘s more that it means taking it out on gritted roads and in wintery conditions so more chance of rust and damage.
That‘s a good point as it‘s unlikely to lose much in comparison to what it would cost to run another car. I‘ll have a think and decide in October once the winter weather starts to arrive.
Thanks

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
You can't go wrong with any of the VAG group of diesels. I've had a VRS Fabia, Mrs has it now and we use it on long trecks and daily drives and it's a fabulous car. Comfortable, light, good power, goes well, 50mpg most days and 60-70 on a long run, 500 miles to a tank. 6 speed, can't go wrong with something like that tbh bud.

My mum has a 170 brake A3 Sport line, again a lovely car. Get a lot of motor for your money, it's more comfortable again than the Skoda, nicer place to be. Lovely gearbox, nice steering, good brakes, good power.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Liam-R said:
I do less than 1000 miles a month usually. It‘s more that it means taking it out on gritted roads and in wintery conditions so more chance of rust and damage.
That‘s a good point as it‘s unlikely to lose much in comparison to what it would cost to run another car. I‘ll have a think and decide in October once the winter weather starts to arrive.
Thanks

Although I don‘t use mine that much info use not all year round mate and it‘s spotless, I just make sure I clean the arches and wash the underside off throughout winter to maintain it.

In he long run I think you‘d be saving £££‘s having only the one car but if you do get another then I‘d say a cheap Japanese car (civic, accord etc but the best comfy and for built quality I‘d be looking at German cars)

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Id hate to daily my teg. Would take all the fun out of it for me. 3k can get you a pretty good car these days.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
I agree with Ollie 100%. I found daily driving my old teg boring (but I do work in my local city centre and its congested).

After around a year I demoted the teg to weekend duty and my love for the car changed overnight honestly. Found it so much easier to keep it in good condition and it felt more special to get behind the wheel. For 3k may he worth looking for an older VAG for just daily duties.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
I‘ve got a fiesta 1.6tdci 2008 reg. £30 year tax and cheap/easy to maintain. Economy is good too. Insurance is also cheap as chips. Teg is now covered for the winter months with a storm force in the garage.

ste01

Advanced Member
Just spend £1k on a 1.9tdi VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi and keep the rest in reserve for any jobs that might need doing

Britz

Advanced Member
I‘d just put the 3k back into the teg if I had it rather than buy a 2nd car could make for some sweeet upgrades lol