Best first mods??

Gandyman

Hey Peoples,

Bit of a noob question to ask really but what are the best mods to carry out on a DC5? Seemingly everyone has modded the exhaust and breathing but whats the best way to go about it?? I know this may only garner different opinions but as I'm new to the whole DC5 idea i'm open to all ideas

raz786

Advanced Member
A lot of people like the induction kit first, great sound and should make a bit of a performance different, it was my first mod and I loved it. Others will say that a Fast Road Setup is the best first mod for the handling side, but I guess its about how you drive your car.

My performance upgrades order was:

Induction kit
Cat-Back Exhaust
Exhaust Manifold
Intake Manifold
Mapping

Also fitted alloys and coilovers, and got a fast road setup :D

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
this mysterious fast road setup...

what way have you got the camber,toe,etc adjusted?

is that what it is, yeah?

Dc5vic

Advanced Member
raz786 said:
A lot of people like the induction kit first, great sound and should make a bit of a performance different, it was my first mod and I loved it. Others will say that a Fast Road Setup is the best first mod for the handling side, but I guess its about how you drive your car.

My performance upgrades order was:

Induction kit
Cat-Back Exhaust
Exhaust Manifold
Intake Manifold
Mapping

Also fitted alloys and coilovers, and got a fast road setup :D
Yeah I agree,i'm doin it this way.Just bought my induction kit and exhaust is next.I'll do the manifolds and decat last before mapping but thats still a bit away yet!

raz786

Advanced Member
I was happy with the way I did it, as I'm sure most of us are!

The fast road setup is adjustimg camber and toe, I'm sure someone will have a copy of their settings.

MarkyD

Advanced Member
I would say you cant go far wrong with a good induction kit, then a manifold (uprated engine mounts required at this point) and exhaust, Which exhaust to go for will depend entirely on your hearing and how much you like your nieghbours.

The fast road setup will make the car more stable and will be less tail happy so will make the car better to drive. I would also recommend an eibach/spoon handling kit which isnt too expensive and will lower the car 25mm or so.

Any engine mods after this will require an uprated ecu and a mapping session.

shaf

i have a aem v2 less than 6 months old up for sale in a week or too let me know if your intrested :D

alucardo

Advanced Member
Fast road ( you can go coilovers or stay standard oem dampners with spoon or eibach springs with camber bolts)
Decent Tyres
Decent brakes (Uprated pads or discs aswell)
Rear strut brace

Only after the above would I move onto breathing and tbh there isnt much point altering breathing unless your looking a kpro/Mugen ecu/another mapable ecu to get the most out of it.

RBC intake
Induction
Manifold
Exhaust
Kpro

The above is expensive though so you may just want to go induction and exhaust to start off with.

neogeo

Advanced Member
For handling: Get a good set of tires, change the brake fulids and uprate the pads. you dont need a fast road set up. waste of money. Get used to the car on what it can do with these simple mods.
Then you can buy coilovers and change the cambers afterward.
Performance: Get a good sounding exhaust, the gains on different exhaust are so small you want notice the difference.
check the sound out on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVDlS5BW4x0.
Induction kits it can be a double edge sword. open cone has that awsome vtec roar but it can make your car feel sluggish.
standard box has better performace but no vtec roar. gruppem has the best of both worlds.
i cant say on what to buy but i have a gruppem.
you wont get much or any gains on these mods you can loose bhp.
once you got a induction kit and the exhaust then get kpro or k100.
dont bother getting a manifold and decat or rbc the standard one are good enough. you want get much gains from changing these mods for price you pay for changing them. i wasted my money to find out the gains are crap. the most gains you going to get is from the remap. Mapping will change the car performace and definitely put a smile on your face.
hope this will help.

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
neogeo said:
For handling: Get a good set of tires, change the brake fulids and uprate the pads. you dont need a fast road set up. waste of money.

dont bother getting a manifold and decat or rbc the standard one are good enough. i wasted my money to find out the gains are crap.
very helpful genuine advice here. that video was a good find too.

fair play for being so honest and upfront!

wantadc5

Advanced Member
neogeo said:
For handling: Get a good set of tires, change the brake fulids and uprate the pads. you dont need a fast road set up. waste of money. Get used to the car on what it can do with these simple mods.
Then you can buy coilovers and change the cambers afterward.
Performance: Get a good sounding exhaust, the gains on different exhaust are so small you want notice the difference.
Induction kits it can be a double edge sword. open cone has that awsome vtec roar but it can make your car feel sluggish.
standard box has better performace but no vtec roar. gruppem has the best of both worlds.
i cant say on what to buy but i have a gruppem.
you want get much or any gains on these mods you can loose bhp.
once you got a induction kit and the exhaust then get kpro or k100.
dont bother getting a manifold and decat or rbc the standard one are good enough. you want get much gains from changing these mods for price you pay for changing them. i wasted my money to find out the gains are crap. the most gains you going to get is from the remap. Mapping will change the car performace and definitely put a smile on your face.
hope this will help.
Well a whole group of us have just all gone and bought the RBC inlet manifold....I will report back with my findings!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
neogeo said:
the most gains you going to get is from the remap. Mapping will change the car performace and definitely put a smile on your face.

What do you refer to here, the k100 and krpo or something different?

I presume you've had the remap, who did this for you and what did you ask them to do in terms of remapping?

Gandyman

Thanks for all the advice...its much appreciated, i may not have a Teg quite yet but it all helps me get a good idea of what i could do with one :green: Thanks again!!

MattDC5

Advanced Member
If it's a standard car your working from I would do the following in this order;

springs Spoon/Eibach
fast road set up
short shifter
brake upgrade

If you only need two seats I'd strip the rear to save weight and maybe remove heavy stuff like air con etc.

Then decide if you want more noise and power

Hoodster

Advanced Member
There are couple of people saying fast road is a waste of money do said people have a fast road set up ? because its been one of the best mods I,ve done.

As far as remapping is concerned imo its a waste of money unless you have changed all your breathing parts including manifold and if you think the rbc is expensive for about 10bhp with a good map then your modding the wrong car because around £200 for 10bhp on a k20a engine is a bargain.

Gandyman

Gonna ask another noob question now....i've seen as part of this thread that an rbc has cropped up alot....is RBC a company or what?! #-o Might be a daft question but if you don't ask you never know....

neogeo

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
neogeo said:
the most gains you going to get is from the remap. Mapping will change the car performace and definitely put a smile on your face.

What do you refer to here, the k100 and krpo or something different?

I presume you've had the remap, who did this for you and what did you ask them to do in terms of remapping?
I had k100 done by romain from artech tunning very helpful and honest dyno figures.
I didn't want to pay £700 for kpro and £200-£300 for dyno tunning. I did my research on kpro and k100 to see what the difference is. not much except the price.
Remapping the car will bring the vtec point lower and raise the revs higher depending on each car.
now vtec comes in 2 parts half throttle and full throttle, what a good feature only with ivtec.
when i put my foot down full throttle vtec comes in at 4500rpm and ends at 8800rpm
half throttle vtecs come in at 5500 good for motorway driving.
each car will be different when vtec comes in, my friends 1 comes in at 4700rpm
each map will be different.
dont expect 250bhp on induction kits and exhaust. some places have some crazy high bhp number on there dyno.
some maybe lower. Dont look at how many bhp you gained but how it drives afterwards. better throttle resonpse more torque.
I had 1 guy who had the car mapped up north and got 246bhp with toda mani toda exhaust gruppem rbc kpro.
went to a dyno shoot in south london and got 216bhp and dyno dynamics he had five runs to make sure.
I made 203bhp standard that day.
Now i've got 222.1bhp with gruppe m spoon mani and de cat and fujitsubo system. 20 bhp with the mods i've got. not much you think but i gave up chasing numbers. as long it put a smile on your face when vtec kicks in and it always does.
i will stick my dyno chart later