Best glue to stick to glass

ben04

Hi all, my passenger window was replaced at some point and where the glass sits in the white clips on the motor arms it isnt glued in anymore resulting in the window going up on the piss then coming off the rails. so i cannot use the window atm which is a pain as its warm out haha!

Ive tried silicone it worked for a few weeks but now its come off again :xaiweb4:

any reccomendations on something that'll hold it permanently?

cheers

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
I use to work as a glass body fitter i would say the plastic clips comes already fitted to the glass then they are normaly bolted to the runners i would say maybe one of the clips has broken causing it to go up on the p*** but without seeing it i can't say. have you tryed using polyurethane has this would be better than silicone.

Future

Advanced Member
I replaced my regulator a few years ago and if I remember correctly the glass is actually bolted to the regulator arm. I'll try and dig out the pages from the workshop manual.

ben04

Yeah I did strip the door panel off and there are 2 white plastic clips / holders/ moldings That are on the bottom of the glass which then attach to the mechanism. Both of these are not stuck to the window, it just sits in the slots on them, resulting in being able to physically hold the glass and pull it up out of the door,
I did take pictures when I done it originally with silicone but can't find them for the life of me :/

Future

Advanced Member
Ah right, I don't remember them haha.
Have you found anything suitable yet?
I hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Rom

Advanced Member
Yeah they bond on. No idea what is used from factory.
But as Gordy said, PU would be much better. Silicone has very little adhesive properties.

Something like Tigerseal is what id try. Guy asked this question not long ago, if you can find the thread, you could PM hom and ask if he ever fixed it.
PU has some flex, so should last well against cracking. Its used to bond spoilers and stuff on, its strong!

Or some 2 part epoxy, but this usually goes real hard. May be more likely to crack ? But again, its strong, so should work.

Future

Advanced Member
I actually got interested in what would work with this and looking at a few websites the best thing to use (according to them) is super glue or epoxy resin.

Rom

Advanced Member
Super glue is far too brittle. It struggles to hold anything that has any force put on it. The sheer strength of it is quite low i think.

The epoxy is closer to what they would use from factory i guess. Whatever it is, will be a bit thicker, and have some flex.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Araldite could be an option. It's always done the job for me.

Superglue is only good for closing cuts/small wounds.

ben04

Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated this problem is rather irritating lol
I'll get some tigerseal Monday and report back my findings :D

integraleo

Advanced Member
Was me that had the problem,it's a case of lightly sanding the glass to give it a key for the glue to hold.I tried tigerseal and gorilla glue which both failed after couple weeks until glass was sanded and I used something called stick it all I think it's called from a diy shop.doubt it's much different to tigerseal and I'm sure it was the sanding of the glass that made the difference

ben04

That's a good point, I'll somehow scrape off the pink adhesive that's on there and sand the glass. Nice one :D

ben04

Update: this is what I ended up buying after being reccomended it by the guy at the local DIY shop..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/the-works-sealant-adhesive-white-290ml/72264

took the window out, scraped off the old glue with a scalpel, then keyed the glass with a diamond grinding wheel (not in a grinder :xtsk: )
applied a nice splodge of this stuff to the 2 plastic clips and left it set.
So far so good, its seems to have worked perfectly :D

Cheers for the tips

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
No idea if this applies folks but my family business is glass. We use small white sticking pads to fix very large mirrors to walls. You could hang of these things.
Might be a better option to scraping toughened glass or using heavy expoxy type stuff, there aint a lot that will stick to glass.