Best modifications for a near stock car

cameroon95

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

My car at the moment has an aftermarket exhaust and im looking at some point to start tinkering with her.

Gave her a full oil change this past weekend.

Just wondering what are the most cost effective gains to be had in a dc5? I notice a lot of products command high prices but give little gains, so any advice is welcome.

I come from turbo cars so unsure of the best possible route, i've heard a lot about kpro-i'm assuming this is a mapable ecu? So i'm thinking I would be better to get all my bolt on mods sorted first.

thanks in advance

cam

kingston

Advanced Member
Unless your willing to spend 1500+ (K-Pro + Mapping + RBC + Aftermarket air intake) on the engine, you wont make any extra noticeable power gains

Best bet, sort out suspension and/or brakes. IF its just the one mod you plan to do, and pending on budget - suspension (springs with oem shocks or aftermarket coilover 700+ new exc fitting) with fast road set-up

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Unless your willing to spend 1500+ (K-Pro + Mapping + RBC + Aftermarket air intake) on the engine, you wont make any extra noticeable power gains

Best bet, sort out suspension and/or brakes. IF its just the one mod you plan to do, and pending on budget - suspension (springs with oem shocks or aftermarket coilover 700+ new exc fitting) with fast road set-up
Sound advice....

Nothing wrong with a Kpro on a standard car either....

blueguy

Resident J's whore
As above, handling and brakes are the most effective mods IMO.

If you want to stick with power mods though, you're right with your thinking in regards to bolt ons + Kpro first.
Tackling all bolt ons and kpro in one go is expensive so most people start with an exhaust and induction kit first, then manifold (exhaust and/or inlet (if sticking to NA)) with kpro. This way you only have to fork out for the cost of one map without any potential negative effects to your engine like running lean.

cameroon95

Advanced Member
As above, handling and brakes are the most effective mods IMO.

If you want to stick with power mods though, you're right with your thinking in regards to bolt ons + Kpro first.
Tackling all bolt ons and kpro in one go is expensive so most people start with an exhaust and induction kit first, then manifold (exhaust and/or inlet (if sticking to NA)) with kpro. This way you only have to fork out for the cost of one map without any potential negative effects to your engine like running lean.

Very useful advice from everyone

Is it worth getting a aem air filter to replace my hks one?

cameroon95

Advanced Member

What is this RBC i see being mentioned all the time?

Vtec Accord

The RBC is the Intake manifold from the Accord Euro R which has shorter runners giving good hp gains when used with K-Pro, Larger Throttle Body & CAI.

:)

kingston

Advanced Member
Very useful advice from everyone

Is it worth getting a aem air filter to replace my hks one?
If theres nothing wrong with the HKS one then no unless you sit in stand still traffic all day - no doubt someone will pipe up about heat soak but if your in stand still traffic which is where its going to happen, you wont be exactly going balls to floor with the pedal anyway and the slight loss in power wont be noticeable. C&S Evo ran one on his TA car and made just as much power as others running other intakes :xcheers:

V7MAT

clean freak
i did brakes>suspension>power(beginning now) look at what other peoplehave done in the projects section :)

raz786

Advanced Member
What's your budget mate? NA tuning ia expensive, handling and brakes IMO opinion are more important on track and of you like b road blasts etc. If straight line speed etc is what you need then the usual induction mani exhaust kpro etc.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I have done suspension, next is gearbox, after that brakes. Then power. Will do exterior and interior between them.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
I'll take you out for a spin in my car so you can get an idea of what a tuned/Kpro'd Engine feels like.

cameroon95

Advanced Member
I'll take you out for a spin in my car so you can get an idea of what a tuned/Kpro'd Engine feels like.
Yeah that would be cool dude, just away offshore for 3 weeks but could arrange an aberdeen meet when I come back? Would be cool to meet some folk :)

skerr406

Advanced Member
Iv got an AEM Cold Air Intake in mines and the noise is soooo much better.

going for an RBC next i think before I go for a K pro..... insurance renewal prevents it getting done sooner :xrealangry:

IS it a requirement to get a bigger throttle body for the intake manifold? does it make a significant difference?

buying the RBC iv seen from what iv seen is reasonably priced for what it is, is it easy enough to fit???

vtecpang

Advanced Member
It's not a requirement to get a bigger TB

If this is your daily driver around town then having a bigger TB will make life a bitch from what I have read. Car will drive lumpy

If you opt for bigger TB Then track days will soo much fun

Pro and cons
What ever suits you best ;)

I don't have RBC but again from what i have read, looks easy to fit! I will be going down a similar route
I googled my research :)

HTH

Manf
:D