Best pads/discs for light street use.

jammy84

Advanced Member
have been looking at all your pad/discs posts and noticed they are all for hard work, tracking etc.
i want to know what is a good entry level brake disc and pad set up to go for? front and back, not too pricey.
im not a hard nut racer so wont be putting them to the limits, i just want something thats a bit more punchy when braking. once i have a decent find, i will be upgrading the hoses and fluid to some good stuff too.

Paul G

Members
New set of frt OEM discs from Dave at Steels Honda (aprox £100)& some Mintex 1144 pads, leave the rear pads OEM...

Paul.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Paul G said:
New set of frt OEM discs from Dave at Steels Honda (aprox £100)& some Mintex 1144 pads, leave the rear pads OEM...

Paul.
For a street car the M1144's can get quite tiring because they screech like mad while driving in traffic with standard discs.

OP id stick with OEM pads and discs for road only situations.

Paul G

Members
cpoh said:
Paul G said:

Paul.
For a street car the M1144's can get quite tiring because they screech like mad while driving in traffic with standard discs.

OP id stick with OEM pads and discs for road only situations.

:xconfused: They should not be that bad & the extra braking performance should more than make up for it ...Did you re fit the shims from your OEM pads :idea: ?

LeeH

Advanced Member
I would still upgrade the hoses and fluid to get a nice pedal feel.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Paul G said:
:xconfused: They should not be that bad & the extra braking performance should more than make up for it ...Did you re fit the shims from your OEM pads :idea: ?
Yup fitted the shims and i regreased the shims/back of pads two or three times before giving up on them as a street pad. Around tiown light braking when coming to a standstill they sqeeled like a pig! My friends DC5 was the saem.

jammy84

Advanced Member
i was looking for a slight upgrade than OEM, they dont feel good enough. is there nothing mid range?

Paul G

Members
cpoh said:
Paul G said:
Yup fitted the shims and i regreased the shims/back of pads two or three times before giving up on them as a street pad. Around tiown light braking when coming to a standstill they sqeeled like a pig! My friends DC5 was the saem.

Wt did you use to grease the back plates/shims ?

Paul.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Paul G said:
cpoh said:
Paul G said:

Wt did you use to grease the back plates/shims ?

Paul.
Copper grease ;)

Hancock

Advanced Member
jammy84 said:
have been looking at all your pad/discs posts and noticed they are all for hard work, tracking etc.
i want to know what is a good entry level brake disc and pad set up to go for? front and back, not too pricey.
im not a hard nut racer so wont be putting them to the limits, i just want something thats a bit more punchy when braking. once i have a decent find, i will be upgrading the hoses and fluid to some good stuff too.
I would change your fluids before upgrading your pads, you will notice a big improvement if your fluids are shot. Do you find the pedal a bit spongy?

If you are not using them for track stick with oem discs/pads they are good enough for the road imo.

mikegsi

Staff member
braided hoses and good fluid for starters

oem discs are fine with either mintex 1144's or ds2500's

ive used both and only ever had sliight squeeling at low speed braking, took them out, re-greased with ceratec, no more screeching...............

Dan2020

Advanced Member
I've got the same problem as cpoh with the 1144's on stock disks, but it's not as bad as his sound and it is only at very low speed when coming to a stop. All shims greased up with ceratec twice.

Paul G

Members
Dan2020 said:
I've got the same problem as cpoh with the 1144's on stock disks, but it's not as bad as his sound and it is only at very low speed when coming to a stop. All shims greased up with ceratec twice.

Sounds like yours is about wt i would expect them to be like...But the extra stopping power/feel to the brakes is well worth it IMO :wink:

Paul.

Dan2020

Advanced Member
Paul G said:
Dan2020 said:

Sounds like yours is about wt i would expect them to be like...But the extra stopping power/feel to the brakes is well worth it IMO :wink:

Paul.
I would agree, the extra bite from the 1144's are worth the trade off with a bit of screeching round town!! :D Project Mu pads were fitted before, they didn't screech but they definately was not as good as the 1144's!

alucardo

Advanced Member
My pads initially screeched at low speed but its gone away. I had project mu before the 1144's and they where just as good as the mintex but the mintex initial bite is slightly sharper but nothing in it really.

Rob84

Advanced Member
My dixcel's started to squeel recently after the car had done hardly any miles (only slow stop/start town traffic) but after getting them hot the squeeling went. I put it down to a slight glazing of the pad surface which, the grooves in the disk got rid of, when they got hot