BEST TIME TO CHECK ENGINE OIL??

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Can anyone tell me when it is the best time to check the engine oil in your car?? Some people say dont check it when its from cold because it wont be accurate, as the oil would have drained down to the sump and give an inaccuate reading?

or

check it when you've driven the car and leave it for about 5mins?? Ive done this and it seems to be very low whereas when i check it from cold it seems to be just about right??

Any ideas people?? :?

kingston

Advanced Member
i let my engine run from cold for 5 mins before checking the oil,

pendant on the length of drive will depend on how long ill leave it to stand before checking or if ive taken it for a 5min run, ill check it then

The Meist_R

Advanced Member
Check it about 10 mins after you've switched the engine off, say after you've been out and about. Most of the oil that is going to drain back to the sump will of done so in that time. Oil volume increases when it's hot so it's better to check hot as opposed to cold. In my car when the oil is cold, it reads 1-2mm below the full mark and when hot it's on the full mark. It takes approx 10 mins for the oil to reach normal operating temperature under normal driving conditions but will obviously depend on outside air temperature as well.

dan the man

Advanced Member
when stone cold mine i make above the top dot. As when warm and running the sumpis on max and the engine also has enough oil going round it.