Best track day tire for summer road use?

flex1984

Advanced Member
Im thinking getting some track day tires for next summer for road use and was wondering what you guys think would be best, taking into account the we often get summer showers in uk tho

Yokohama AD08

toyo r888

federal 595RS-R

Federal are the cheapest which is making me look at these at the moment

garytc78

Advanced Member
You have missed out Parada Spec II tyres there what i use every day and I have a spare set for the track which I used in june at oulton
and they performed extremely well and they last ages.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
If you've listed the R888's you really want to be comparing them to the AD048's.

What tyres do you have at the moment mate? And does this mean you are keeping your car? :)

flex1984

Advanced Member
blueguy said:
If you've listed the R888's you really want to be comparing them to the AD048's.

What tyres do you have at the moment mate? And does this mean you are keeping your car? :)
i have eagal f1 ass all round at the moment

Well i went to japfest 2 at the weekend, and there was one dc5 there that looked so planted on track and it looked great fun out there aswell

So now im wanting to keep it and get the handling spot on for a bit of fast road and maybe track fun

Rob.

Advanced Member
flex1984 said:
Well i went to japfest 2 at the weekend, and there was one dc5 there that looked so planted on track and it looked great fun out there aswell

So now im wanting to keep it and get the handling spot on for a bit of fast road and maybe track fun
Nice one :)

Get it on track mate, it is huge fun ;)

Rob.

Advanced Member
8) I persuaded you to keep car then :lol:

I use Yoko A048 for track use.
Bear in mind track tyres are louder and stiffer for road use though mate..

flex1984

Advanced Member
yer i guess u did :D

But people do run these type of tyres on the road tho right.

You can life with them?

haitch

Advanced Member
garytc78 said:
You have missed out Parada Spec II tyres there what i use every day and I have a spare set for the track which I used in june at oulton

These are a cheap road tyre, not a track tyre, dont think I would get a fifteen minute session out of a set. You need deep pockets to run track tyres on the road, especially in 17".

The A048 is the better tyre on track but for the road the 888 is better suited as it gets up to temp quicker. Not tried the RS-R, got some for September, only run mine on track though.

Rob.

Advanced Member
Oh yeh still use them on road, they just whine a bit as if you've got a bearing out when above 60mph ish..
Slightly stiffer side walls than a road tyre as well.

garytc78

Advanced Member
haitch said:
garytc78 said:

These are a cheap road tyre, not a track tyre, dont think I would get a fifteen minute session out of a set. You need deep pockets to run track tyres on the road, especially in 17".

The A048 is the better tyre on track but for the road the 888 is better suited as it gets up to temp quicker. Not tried the RS-R, got some for September, only run mine on track though.
I beg to differ maybe if like me the op only does the odd trackday and is doing it for a bit of fun then 888 tyres will not last 5 minutes and it will cost him an arm and a leg to buy 2 sets a year
or he could like me who does 1 or 2 trackdays a year buy a set of Paradas which are fantastic on both road and track and they also get up to temp very quickly and last for a lot longer
than the other tyres mentioned and cost a lot less.
Now when i was at oulton in june i timed myself to see how quickly an amateur like myself in a std teg could lap the full circuit and i think it was 2mins 11secs now i compared that to a
good friend of mine who has an ATR setup for the track and goes to oulton once maybe twice a month and he was lapping around 2mins 5secs so i would say that the Yoko is a pretty
good compromise for use on both road and track. :D

sinbad

Advanced Member
Sorry Gary but the Parada has no where near the grip of a R888.

Its good road tyre in the dry and can take temperatures that you see on track but it wont offer the amount of grip the R888 can give in both wet and dry conditions. I ran a set of R888's for around 9 month doing around 5 trackdays and the Nurburgring, so they can last if you take care of them.

I agree that for the price they arent a bad option but there are far better tyres out there that can be used on road and track. The ATR guys love them as they are cheap and offer a profile that helps the Accords long gearing.

Something like the AD08 would be much better suited as would the RSR. These will probably offer performance not far off the R888 yet have the compound to last longer and get up to temperture quickly on the road.
Sadly prices of the R888 have shot up and imo just aren't worth the price thats slapped on them.

As mentioned as a track tyre the AO48 is a step above but although you can run them on the road they wont last so long.

Dont forget too that the AO48 and R888 come with less mm of tread when new.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Would agree with this, so 'generally' speaking just off the top of my head (I'm sure there's a lot more) you're looking at:

- ad08
- RSR
- R1R
- RS2

If you wait a few months I should be able to give you a subjective comparison between the ad08's and the R1R's.

Guys, what else have I missed?

haitch

Advanced Member
Couple more..
Khumo V70A
Dunlop Direzza
Avon ZZR
Silverstone RR
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
Hankook RS3.

tron2k3

Advanced Member
If you're after road and track something like the RE070 or AD08 would probably be best as they are a hard compound with super stiff sidewalls and shouldn't break up when on track.

Ideally get some track wheels and put some A048s or DZ03G on and swap them at the track as I found once they've been on the road they don't seem to wear as well, and seem to go off quicker.

garytc78

Advanced Member
The 888 is a track tyre that is only just legal on the road and costs a few bob and will not last as long as a road tyre that is also good on
track also the 888 is very soft so if you are a good driver and can push the tyre hard i have been told that it will wear quite quick so thats
why i opted for the yoko because i know it can take the abuse that i can give it on track and also works very well on the road wet or dry
but unless you have tried it on your car you might just think there rubbish as there cheap.
Ask Andy aka vtecdirect he thinks its a very capable tyre and has used it a lot granted its not a track tyre first and foremost but it does
a very good job on the track and for the price of it you cannot go wrong i think.

rarerims

My vote is AD08 as a fast road/occassional track tyre

the down side of an R888/Ao48 is standing water, and the Ad08, whilst not offering the wet performance of an out and out 'wet' tyre (Eagle F1 etc) are a lot more usable that then R888 etc

J

flex1984

Advanced Member
so its looking like ad08 or federals, these two seem to be the better choice for road use, harder compound and getting rid of water better

But does anyone here have direct experience with either of these?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Give me a couple of months mate and I'll be able to give you a review on the ad08's

flex1984

Advanced Member
Cheers bluyguy, i ant looking to get them till april time prob

But say i went for the advan ad08, will it be a big step up in grip and turn in compare to my eagle f1 ass?

I just dont like the turn in and soft side walls on the f1 tyres