Bilstein B14 or steering rack play...

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I have had Bilstein B14 coilovers fitted since last April and also fitted the new SHS steering rack slider a few months ago.

With either side jacked up, and the other side still on the floor, there appears to be some left/right wobble in the wheel, no up/down wobble though. This is also the same when the whole front end is jacked up too.

The tie rod ends are fine and have no play.

When I wobble the wheel it looks like the coilover piston moves slightly within the body, but this could be an illusion since the body does start to rotate with the movement. I also can't see how new Bilstein coilovers could start to fail after just 8 months and 10-15k miles.

Any other things to check? I'm wondering if the steering rack guide screw might need adjusting, would that give similar symptoms, and once adjusted, what would it improve?

I have also checked the wheel wobble on another DC5, on standard shocks and lowering springs, and there was pretty much no play. This was Coyote_dan and that has done over 300k miles!

Alternatively, could anyone else with the B14s jack a side up and see if there is any play whatsover when wobbling the wheel left and right?

spooke

Advanced Member
It's definitely worth getting the rack adjusted first, can you feel the piston move when you wobble it? I would expect it to last much longer than that... I'm guessing it's bad enough that you feel it whilst driving?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if these are the inverted monotube dampers ive heard that before there can be a little play when unloaded.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Yeh just checked and they are the upside down monotube design.
I think the next check is to put the front end on axle stands and a jack under the lower arm to take some load, then check for play again.

Straight line driving does not want to centre easily, it feels like i have about 1 degree where it will go straight. Either side of that the car wants to go that way.
That could be the geo needing to be done again...

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I have the exact same issue!
I've also got b14's and last year when doing general checks I noticed this. was concerned at first, rang TGM who fitted 1 year previous. Tom told me that they do this when unloaded (no weight on them)
I just took his word for it tbh

also driving on bumpy country lanes it had a tenancy to try and put you in a ditch, after having the tracking done again it's been fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Jinis dust said:
I have the exact same issue!
I've also got b14's and last year when doing general checks I noticed this. was concerned at first, rang TGM who fitted 1 year previous. Tom told me that they do this when unloaded (no weight on them)
I just took his word for it tbh

also driving on bumpy country lanes it had a tenancy to try and put you in a ditch, after having the tracking done again it's been fine.

That's good to hear! I thought it was wheel bearing related or something since it seems excessive wobble but must be down to the design.
I do need a geo again anyway since a trackday and having fitted subframe collars so no doubt it is slightly out.
It was just the 'play' that was concerning me!

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I must of spent a good 10-15mins trying to find out what was actually causing the wobble, cause it's fine up amd down, just wobbles left amd right, thought maybe a track rod end till I noticed it in between the shocks.

it's also just recently passed a MOT Like it, so no worrys there either

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Yep exact same as mine then, that's a relief haha!
I was sure the piston was moving separate to the body so it isn't my eyes!

S'arrt

Yep, same here. When my DC5 went in for an MOT one guy spent ages shaking the front with suspicious looks.. Got his manager out, who quickly confirmed that B14s do this when unloaded. The manager had B14s on his own car fortunately, and his does the same (not a DC5). Passed MOT without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, good to read that other's have the same behaviour and it isn't a problem! Unless of course we all have knackered coilovers haha :p

badeshi

Advanced Member
I'm glad I found this thread. Just had alignment done and garage noticed a little play within the shocks. They seemed to think bilsteins were notorious for this and I should be ready to send them back for repair....
I will keep an eye on them but good to know I am not only one and the fact I bought secondhand B14s is not a disaster!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

adam.

Advanced Member
On the Billy's there are three bearings at the top of the strut which hold the shaft in place, as you unload it starts to come away from the security of the bearings and starts to have play. I've not explained it very well, but meh!

Those bearings need servicing / replacing every 24 months (ish) depending on use.