Bilstein B16

nails

Advanced Member
Anyone else running these? I have them on mine but they were on when I purchased the car.

I really like them, handles amazingly well, and no knocks, groans or bangs. However, the previous owner had them set-up on the stiffest setting. Is this the normal thing to do?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I think quite a lot of people run these or the B14's. I believe Mark Khan has the B16's on his track DC5 that I was out in recently and it is truly amazing on track, the setup perfect imo. I have considered them recently but have never felt mine (Mugen Showa shocks and Spoon springs) on track yet but heard it's an amazing setup also so will just see how they feel first and get a feel for the car before spending a lot on the B16's as they are not cheap. As they came on the car you done well mate :)

nails

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I think quite a lot of people run these or the B14's. I believe Mark Khan has the B16's on his track DC5 that I was out in recently and it is truly amazing on track, the setup perfect imo. I have considered them recently but have never felt mine (Mugen Showa shocks and Spoon springs) on track yet but heard it's an amazing setup also so will just see how they feel first and get a feel for the car before spending a lot on the B16's as they are not cheap. As they came on the car you done well mate :)
Yeah I was lucky that Jason (previous owner) made so many high quality upgrades on this car :xhappy:

I am just not sure if having them on the stiffest setting is the best thing when my house is surrounded by speed bumps haha

Liam

Advanced Member
I switched to B16s from a set of Taiwan's finest coilovers and they are massive improvement in my eyes. For me, I've found 7 works best on the road. On a track day I use 2 but I imagine most will set them fully hard.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
nails said:
Yeah I was lucky that Jason (previous owner) made so many high quality upgrades on this car :xhappy:

I am just not sure if having them on the stiffest setting is the best thing when my house is surrounded by speed bumps haha
Yeah I know your car and Jason mate, was at Brands when he tracked it and it performed well and you got a good one there :)

nails

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I run them, I have them set to the softest settings on the road. No complaints at all.
Softest? I am on the hardest, how easy are they to adjust or is it a TGM job?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I run them, I have them set to the softest settings on the road. No complaints at all.
As with Marks Chris's car performed really well imo and felt solid (did not know then were B16's until now), looks like I may have another purchase on my hands next year....

Chris is your car at TGM by the way? Think I saw it there when collecting mine on Sat

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
nails said:
Softest? I am on the hardest, how easy are they to adjust or is it a TGM job?
Yeah softest on the road and I tighten them up on the track. Just turn the dials on them counter clockwise to tighten and clockwise to loosen. German logic!

The rears need the trim removing a little or cutting to access them. The fronts are inverted so need to be done from the bottom which is a pain but it's easy enough to do yourself. I've cut the trim in mine with a knife to access the dials.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
As with Marks Chris's car performed really well imo and felt solid (did not know then were B16's until now), looks like I may have another purchase on my hands next year....

Chris is your car at TGM by the way? Think I saw it there when collecting mine on Sat
No mate, sh'es tucked up in the garage and hasn't moved in a week.

adam.

Advanced Member
Mine were always set to the stiffest.

Anything less was a bit too 'bouncy/floaty/wobbly/jelly' for me.

nails

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:
Mine were always set to the stiffest.

Anything less was a bit too 'bouncy/floaty/wobbly/jelly' for me.
Yeah I am tempted to leave them as there is nothing wrong, I just hope it is not doing them any harm being on the stiffest setting all the time, especially as I have to go over 4 speed bumps just to get out of my road!

ctrmint

I'm currently install some new B16 on my facelift. Had an issue with the size of the top mount bushes being the wrong size. Currently working to sort that, but can't wait to get them on and driven.