Bilstein B4 dampers

cmhshek

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Been looking into OEM replacement dampers rather than coilovers. Just wondering if anyone has fitted the B4's? Is it the same story, EP3 track rod ends and washers?

Thanks,
Chris

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
They are standard on Evo IX's. Very good but a little on the soft side. Could be different on the DC5 though.

spooke

Advanced Member
If they are for EP3 then yes, however aren't B4 OEM equivalent? Are EP3 and DC5 dampers the same?

cmhshek

Advanced Member
spooke said:
If they are for EP3 then yes, however aren't B4 OEM equivalent? Are EP3 and DC5 dampers the same?
That's what I'm not sure on..I messaged Balance Motorsport but all they came back with was Bilstein don't have anything listed for DC5.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Ep3 and dc5 are different. Ep3 will fit but you'll need spacers on the rear and ep3 track rod ends up front. The ones you will need to search for will be for an ep3.

But how that effects the ride im not sure, don't know what they would feel like with dc5 springs.

Pre face dc5 and ep3 shocks share the same spring design, but as stated above in standard guise they will have different spring rates.

cmhshek

Advanced Member
Ok cheers guys.

Think I'll pass on the B4's then. But then the B14's are fine even though they're also designed for EP3?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Coilovers from ep3 to dc5 still require the washers and track rods too.

The shocks themselves will probably be great. (B4s) just need to find someone running them for reviews on the dc5. Thats the only bit im not sure on. Could be firm, could be too soft. I don't know. Speak to TGM for some advice, im sure he will have fitted many sets :)

spooke

Advanced Member
cmhshek said:
cmhshek, on 11 Dec 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Ok cheers guys.

Think I'll pass on the B4's then. But then the B14's are fine even though they're also designed for EP3?
Well in reality the EP3 and DC5 suspension are pretty much the same, plus the B14's spring rates are higher than both standard cars, 6.1F/ 12.7R so the damping will be increased to match.

You will be fine using them tbh, the B4 on the other hand your best to ask Bilstein, maybe look at the B6/B8 but for the price the B14 are probably a better option. A few people on here use them.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Just after some advice more than anything. I'm looking at upgrading the suspension and I don't want to go down the Coilover route as the car is a daily and it won't be seeing much track action really, plus cost is a factor.

I'm potentially eying up some Mugen Showa which I know will be a straight fit but I'm also contemplating Bilstein B8 dampers so the car retains an OEM feel, I'm running OE dampers with Spoon spring at the moment and it's too crashy however I'd be retaining the Spoons - I'm assuming they'd fit with B8's?

Ste mentioned in another thread that supposedly it's EP3 B8's that I'd need for the front and EP3 B6's for the rear, the B6 is near to an OE damper where as the B8 is a tad shorter. Can anyone else confirm if this is indeed the case? I've also emailed Bilstein for them to confirm.

I know I'd need EP3 track rod ends for the front too but I've read Jimmer's post above in that I'd need spacers as well, is this correct if running B6's or B8's on the rear?

Appreciate I'm asking a lot of questions here and seemingly not many have ran this setup on the Integra DC5 so may not know the answer. Just trying to find out what the best way forward is before I make a concrete decision.

Many thanks!

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Crazylegs said:
Hi guys,

Just after some advice more than anything. I'm looking at upgrading the suspension and I don't want to go down the Coilover route as the car is a daily and it won't be seeing much track action really, plus cost is a factor.

I'm potentially eying up some Mugen Showa which I know will be a straight fit but I'm also contemplating Bilstein B8 dampers so the car retains an OEM feel, I'm running OE dampers with Spoon spring at the moment and it's too crashy however I'd be retaining the Spoons - I'm assuming they'd fit with B8's?

Ste mentioned in another thread that supposedly it's EP3 B8's that I'd need for the front and EP3 B6's for the rear, the B6 is near to an OE damper where as the B8 is a tad shorter. Can anyone else confirm if this is indeed the case? I've also emailed Bilstein for them to confirm.

I know I'd need EP3 track rod ends for the front too but I've read Jimmer's post above in that I'd need spacers as well, is this correct if running B6's or B8's on the rear?

Appreciate I'm asking a lot of questions here and seemingly not many have ran this setup on the Integra DC5 so may not know the answer. Just trying to find out what the best way forward is before I make a concrete decision.

Many thanks!
B4 is the OE replacement. B6 is what Bilstein call their Performance shock and B8 is their Performance Plus shock. The only difference that Bilstein advertise between the B6 and B8 is that the B8 is shorter, or at least is intended for lowering springs.

Looking at the catalogue, they offer the B4, B6 or B8 shocks for the front, but only the B4 and B6 shocks for the rear. I'm not sure what actual differences there would be if you used a mix of the B8's and B6's; it's a setup that I'm yet to see first hand.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Torque GT said:
B4 is the OE replacement. B6 is what Bilstein call their Performance shock and B8 is their Performance Plus shock. The only difference that Bilstein advertise between the B6 and B8 is that the B8 is shorter, or at least is intended for lowering springs.

Looking at the catalogue, they offer the B4, B6 or B8 shocks for the front, but only the B4 and B6 shocks for the rear. I'm not sure what actual differences there would be if you used a mix of the B8's and B6's; it's a setup that I'm yet to see first hand.
Thanks guys for the detailed explanation, that makes a lot more sense now. I was unclear really as to why the suspension would be be different front and rear but that makes more sense now, cheers!

JDAYKIN96

Does anybody know if the oem DC5 bump stops, dust cover and top mount seat are compatible with EP3 B4 dampers, or would these need to be changed for civic parts?

I'm in desperate need of replacing my shocks and springs. I was going to go down the B14 route but it appears quite a few of the clio guys have suffered from leaking units and the need for rebuild after limited road use (less than 20k miles) which has put me off.

The only other option that seems viable is to import a new set of mugen showas as I don't want to buy second hand unit.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
JDAYKIN96 said:
Does anybody know if the oem DC5 bump stops, dust cover and top mount seat are compatible with EP3 B4 dampers, or would these need to be changed for civic parts?

I'm in desperate need of replacing my shocks and springs. I was going to go down the B14 route but it appears quite a few of the clio guys have suffered from leaking units and the need for rebuild after limited road use (less than 20k miles) which has put me off.

The only other option that seems viable is to import a new set of mugen showas as I don't want to buy second hand unit.
You'll struggle to get a set of new Showas as they are discontinued

fwiw (i know youre not considering these now) B14s are great, all of the bump steer you get with the stock springs/shocks is gone and they are a nice ride. But they are too soft for some people as they want the race car feel or actually want stiffer coilovers for the track. The B14s load up nicely on the road and the car handles extremely well, but they can on occasion bottom out when you're gunning it down a road and hit a depression at speed which can feel a bit odd when you first experience it. I run mine within tolerance (theres a 10-15mm adjustment range front and rear to keep it in tolerence, if you want to lower it fully these arent the coilovers for you).

The EP3 spacer thing is just a washer of any size big enough to space out the gap in the rear control arm so wouldn't worry about that at all. Rod ends arent expensive either.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Just got a mb email for Torque GT saying they may be able to get mugen showas new. With giving them a shout if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk