Bilstiens B14

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Anyone had any experience with these? Looking at suspension and I just don't know where to go. I don't really want springs as I'd like the height adjustability but don't think I could justify B16 price new.

What were the B14s like on the road as I know you can't adjust the damping? I will be doing some small track sprints and some track time next year so would appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Midnight

Advanced Member
Chris has a set of B16's for sale pretty cheap.

Had B14's on an evo VI. Way too soft for anything other than popping to the shop. Would of been awful for track work.

badeshi

Advanced Member
I have them and think they are great. Def firmer than stock but good dampening and not crashy at all. I only use my car on road but would imagine they would be fine for occasional track use?
Well made also

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Chris has a set of B16's for sale pretty cheap.

Had B14's on an evo VI. Way too soft for anything other than popping to the shop. Would of been awful for track work.
I was going to buy them but unfortunately they sold too quick

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I may save for B16's as I'm going to do some sprint events, not fussed on breaking lap records but would like the car to perform. Are the B16's worth the price increase? I know there's Meister etc but I'd like something I can rely on and the car still needs to bearable on a B-road blast. How do Teins compete?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I test drove a DC5 on Tein's about 5yrs ago, they were very stiff and harsh on the UK roads imo, also had them on a few cars in the past and they too were pretty harsh. Great suspension but if it's mainly road use then I would steer clear of them.

If yours is mainly road with some track then I'd recommend as a lot would the Mugen Showa shocks and Spoon progressive springs

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I want the height adjustability though for wheel fitment. Teins are out of the question then.

So, B14 vs B16. Would B14's be stiff enough for a few days on the track? An extra £600 is a lot to pay for adjustable damping.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
If it's not going to be track'd all the time and only a few you'll be fine imo, I have not got either and have seen many on track without coilovers as they are mainly road cars so having B14's wont be a bad thing. My main issue with any form of adjustability is the fact that each track will be different then for road you have to re-adjust and so on, also remember that one of the adjusters on the DC5 B16's is underneath if I remember correctly.

Personally I think either B14's or Mugen with Spoon setup will be perfect for your needs

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
also remember that one of the adjusters on the DC5 B16's is underneath if I remember correctly.
The fronts are underneath as they are inverted dampers.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I'll go for some B14's then, I think B16's would be wasted on mine. Also, what is needed to fit the rears I heard you need some sort of shim/washer?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I'll go for some B14's then, I think B16's would be wasted on mine. Also, what is needed to fit the rears I heard you need some sort of shim/washer?

How much are the B14's mate and where are you buying them from? Chris should be able to advise I believe as someone asked him about it recently when his were advertised.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I think they're around the £850 mark. Not sure I'll have to shop around, I think Torque GT can supply? I'd be fitting myself so would need to know the washer/shim size and where it goes.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
You need EP3 track rod ends and a shim on the rear.
Would you be able to ask Tom at TGM for the exact size or a photo of the shim for me when you get round to taking yours off for me mate?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
hollowaydc5 said:
Would you be able to ask Tom at TGM for the exact size or a photo of the shim for me when you get round to taking yours off for me mate?

I'll probably forget as Tom is chasing a few things for me at the moment, pretty sure if you have a search on here it's been mentioned thought.