Bl**dy Honda drivers - incident in the Teg - update

Tim J

Advanced Member
A female Honda Jazz driver has just scuffed my rear bumper whilst I was stationary turning onto a dual carriage way :xmad:

I've got her registration No but she drove off, and appeared to be blissfully unaware of the incident.
I couldn't pullover as I was at the dual carriageway junction and couldn't chase her as I was on the wrong side of the carriage way.

Do I inform the insurance company? I'm presuming the police will dismiss it as no injuries but failing to stop etc I'm not sure.
I don't want to go down the insurance route as my premium will rocket even though my NCD is protected etc

The damage is obvious though, no cracked bumper, just black plactic scuff which has removed my paintwork.

TBH - I've had better days !!

Opinions as to how I should handle this, I'm mindful that one of the admin/mod team is a policeman ( I think ).

Thanks

Tim

another_ronald

Advanced Member
Re: Bl**dy Honda drivers - incident in the Teg

Hi

Sorry to hear that.

You may try the local Chipsaways guy, looking at £200 circa.

I posted this before:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25783

I had the same problem before,, having black scuff marks on the rear bumper due to bad driving. I have had it resprayed by my bro as he was the local chipway guy. :)

Trust this helps.

Ron

IntegraDan

Advanced Member

In my younger days I knocked somebodys car in a car park and drove off thinking no one had seen me!

I was actually spotted by some guy who reported it to the police and I was taken to court for leaving the scene of an accident and driving without due care and attention.

I received a £300 fine 5 points (which stayed on for 5 years!!) and was ordered to pay for the damage! around another £300!!

Although his allegation was backed up by the cctv footage of me entering and leaving the car park.

So unless you have other witnesses I think it may just be a case of hard luck, as it will be your word against hers!

Tim J

Advanced Member

IntegraDan said:
unless you have other witnesses I think it may just be a case of hard luck, as it will be your word against hers!
That was what I was thinking as although there were lots of other cars around, no pedestrians and most people were busy concentrating on when the dual carriage way lights were going to change.

Bugger x4

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member

you should contact the police straight away, it is illegal to drive away from the scene of an accident, if you have her reg and they look at her car they will see her paint missing lining up perfectly with your car. there may even be cctv, there is loads around these days.

garytc78

Advanced Member

Definatley report it to the police they have to follow it up and they should get her for leaving the scene of an accident no matter how trivial.

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member

Report it to the Police right away. Insurance should work as normal once the police have dealt with it...

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member

definatly report it mate, as said above they might be able to match the scuff on her car to your and maybe CCTV around

-Woody-

Advanced Member

IntegraDan said:
In my younger days I knocked somebodys car in a car park and drove off thinking no one had seen me!

I was actually spotted by some guy who reported it to the police and I was taken to court for leaving the scene of an accident and driving without due care and attention.

I received a £300 fine 5 points (which stayed on for 5 years!!) and was ordered to pay for the damage! around another £300!!

Although his allegation was backed up by the cctv footage of me entering and leaving the car park.

So unless you have other witnesses I think it may just be a case of hard luck, as it will be your word against hers!
Bugger, i done that too :lol: Will make check twice if ive been noticed :lol:

ross16i16

Not a DC5 owner myself (yet
) but this happend to me in a petrol station when I only had my ek9 for 1 week :evil:

Some old chap in an old micra filled up at the pump behind me but managed to pay for his fuel before me. This resulted in him scuffing my bumper while trying to get past my car and driving off, at which time I was at the till.

The shop managed to get the guys details from theclubcard he used but said that due to data protection they could only give the details to the police.

Decided to report the incident to the police. Got a phone call a couple of weeks later to be told, as the cctv was at the front of the petrol station, the point of contact cannot be seen. Also, as I was the only witness the only thing they could do would be knock on the guys dooor and ask him if he bumped into anyones car (at a petrol station a few weeks ago :? )

Needless to say, I never heard back!!

Well done lothian and borders finest =D>

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member

I'd report it and see where you get with it. Perhaps your friend was following in another car and witnessed the incident too?

The example above in the fuel station is tricky as I've experinced before, as the Police really couldn't give two shits if it happens on private land normallly and shirk any sort of follow up. I was in a rugby ground (division 1) car park years ago (Honda CRX), some guy staggered to his car looking pretty drunk, (witnesses) and then reversed into mine, witnesses, number plate etc etc, Police were not interested as they can't prosecute for an incident on private land or something like that!!

mikegsi

Staff member

If it won't rub out (careful with t-cut though or you'll end up with bare metal!!) then you should contact the police, sooner rather than later though, otherwise your wasting your own time

west

Advanced Member

Deffo report it, even if it's just to make you feel better that something might be done about it.

Tim J

Advanced Member

mikegsi said:
If it won't rub out (careful with t-cut though or you'll end up with bare metal!!)
It won't T-cut out as the black bumper has removed my paintwork so I won't be 'polishing' it out :lol: as I'll end up with bare plastic !!

I went to the police station to fill out a '207' form which reports a road traffic collision when the other party has failed to stop.

I 'should' get an incident No and once I track down the insurance details http://www.askmid.com/ - I'll be contacting the other persons insurance company ( and I've been informed that I can legally do this without going through my insurance company ) to state my case with photographic evidence of damage.

Erm

Advanced Member

try helphire

they will take your case on, without you having to go through your insurance company..... just make sure you take out the £10 angel policy

they'll get your car sorted and claim off the other persons insurance and get you a replacement car whlist its being sorted

Tim J

Advanced Member
Well, had a letter in the post and it seems the police don't want to prosecute the other driver for failing to stop.

TBH - That doesn't inspire much confidence in the police so I'm not a happy bunny.

I've pursued the Honda Jazz's insurance company but don't expect to get anywhere as she'll dispute it.

I'm expecting a respray will probably cost about £200 so will be out of pocket for Christmas!! - cursing hell :evil:

Erm

Advanced Member
Tim J said:
Well, had a letter in the post and it seems the police don't want to prosecute the other driver for failing to stop.

TBH - That doesn't inspire much confidence in the police so I'm not a happy bunny.

I've pursued the Honda Jazz's insurance company but don't expect to get anywhere as she'll dispute it.

I'm expecting a respray will probably cost about £200 so will be out of pocket for Christmas!! - cursing hell :evil:
speak to helphire

if they take the case on you will only pay out £10 for the policy which covers you incase their insurance company doesnt accept responsibility.

£10 or £200 for the repairs

celox performance

Advanced Member
Tim J said:

If you had an independent witness then the Police probably would have persued it further, but there again i've got no confidence in the Police whatsoever so they may have chosen to ignore it anyway :roll: