Black flagged at Brands Hatch

Linus27

Advanced Member
Got black flagged at Brands Hatch last night for being too loud. It was a 102db and my car measured 98db at the noise test but after 10 laps it was all over :(

I do have one of those silencer bits that go in the end of the back box but was wondering if they actually make any difference. Anyone know if it will make much difference and reduce the noise much?

ollydc5

Advanced Member
That's bad news mate, I used to have loads of Noise problems years ago. We used to do a lot of days at donington where they run 98db limit and have been pulled off loads of times.

I brought a bung for my oem mani and buddy club prospec cat back which saved me loads of bother. I'm not sure how many db's in exactly knocked of but as far as performance loss it was hardly anything. Had it dymo tested and it lost 5bhp, I thought it would be more but the difference could hardly be noticed.

If it wasn't for the bung it would of spoilt half my days, the noise was right on the limit at Donny and got black flagged twice for being 99db lol. I never go to a track day without one, it's as important as my other tools

adam.

Advanced Member
Whats your exhaust setup? My car is very loud and did a full day at Brands last month with no issues.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Thanks Olly, that's a big help. I'll get it fitted and fingers crossed it will be ok from now on. The weird thing is lots of cars got black flagged last night so maybe something weird was going on. I saw at least 5 or 6 within an hour.

Linus27

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:
Whats your exhaust setup? My car is very loud and did a full day at Brands last month with no issues.
My setup is OEM 4-2, Spoon 2-1, Spoon b-pipe and J's Racing 60R back box. I also have an AEM V2 induction.

I did Snetterton in Feb and it was all fine. I'm wondering if changing back to an OEM Airbox will make any difference as it does scream a bit on the crossover. Not sure how much of that is audible externally.

adam.

Advanced Member
They wouldn't tell me where the mic's were, but I've got standard manifold, cat, DC sports straight thru b pipe and a very minimal rear silencer, with TegM airbox.

I'm guessing it was an evening session? Perhaps they've had complaints recently. (From someone that's recently moved in. :xfinger: )

Linus27

Advanced Member
Yeah evening session and quite a few got black flagged. The organiser actually went and spoke to race control as he wondered if they had changed it to a quiet session and not told him.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Guessing it's the Spoon that's at fault then lol. They are simply too loud I guess for most tracks.

Rom

Advanced Member
Surprised at such little loss with a bung. Mine drives terrible with a bung in. Was it mapped?
I think that will make a difference, a mapped car vs non mapped. As the map will be expecting the air flow that it had when it was mapped.
To the extent, I wouldn't dream of doing a track day with it in. Last time I put oem cat back on. Still noticeably slower. So my track days are on hold until I get a swappable centre terms section that I can run on track.

I need to lose 10db though. So not easy lol. Buddyclub header and spec 3 system.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk