black smoke issue?

Frazdog

Advanced Member
I noticed the other day that on full throttle I have black smoke coming out the back of the car.

I bough the car a few months ago but it does have a high compression engine with forged pistons and high lift cams etc. would that be down to the way its been mapped etc or should I look at anything? i.e. clean air filters etc. (gruppe M) or worse engine parts?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Isn't black smoke fuel? I don't think it's anything to be concerned about but may be worth getting it to a mapper on a rolling road and see if KPRO is throwing any error codes, assuming it's mapped on kpro that is. It may be running rich or lean possibly. Who mapped it do you know?

skengdR

Advanced Member
Ive always heard white smoke is the smoke to worry about with hondas so crazy is probably right

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
What power and spec of the build is the engine then? Is it a JDM DC5 K20A or an EP3 K20A2 engine.

ste01

Advanced Member
Running rich. The soot will build up when you drive normally then get kicked out when you go full throttle

Frazdog

Advanced Member
Its a DC5 K20.

it has a list of mods:

Kpro - MASE tuned
Engine was built by TGM with Wiseco pistons 87.5mm, skunk 2 stage 3 cams, valves springs etc.
Kakimoto exhaust with maximworks manifold and RBC inlet manifold.

Ive got 2 different power runs on paper. one at 261 one at 245.

I think it may just be running rich. I use 99 ron fuel. and if I remember right my old teg used to do the same, when not using Vtec a lot, and then you do. so might just be that.

thought I would check.

as stated above I could get a run on and check the Kpro etcto be sure. does run well.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Some nice mods there mate and looks a decent build especially if TGM built it.

MASE is renowned tuner so the map should be fine tbh. I'd maybe get it booked in with Romain as it sounds like you're nearer the South area.

I used EFI Parts in Runcorn (Chris) as he's close to me but he's a brilliant mapper and knows his way around Hondata Kpro really well. Either guys will be able to take a look at it for you.

May just need a slight map tweak, I'd have thought based on the modifications it has it should be running around 260 brake if not more.

Frazdog

Advanced Member
I am actually from Glasgow. the guy who done the original engine build was from England so that's why was done there.

I believe that the power restriction is based on the Exhaust manifold. its an expensive unit but I believe that it is restricting getting higher bhp out of it. It has a lovely raspy sound out it and again I believe its the manifold that gives you that so it would be a shame to change it but then more power is always good.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Black smoke - air/fuel (check air filter, intake hoses, fuel lines, etc)
Blue - oil (rings, bores)
White - water (condensation/coolant)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Frazdog said:
I am actually from Glasgow. the guy who done the original engine build was from England so that's why was done there.

I believe that the power restriction is based on the Exhaust manifold. its an expensive unit but I believe that it is restricting getting higher bhp out of it. It has a lovely raspy sound out it and again I believe its the manifold that gives you that so it would be a shame to change it but then more power is always good.
I don't think it'll be the manifold that's restricting the power, it'll be the Kakimoto Regu. They're notoriously bad for sapping power and flow but they sound great.

I binned mine for a Fujitsubo RM01A and it made a huge difference to power, went from 211 to 237bhp after I changed the exhaust albeit mine was down on power a little anyway.

That exhaust system will be having a huge impact on your engine's breathing, especially on such a high powered build. I'd get rid of it and get an RM01A or a 3" custom system but that will weigh a lot more than than the Fujitsubo, so the power gains will be negated by the extra weight of the 3" system if you go down that route.

Frazdog

Advanced Member
if I changed the exhaust would I need to remap it again? problem is if I go to change it and it is the wrong part it could be an expensive lesson. obviously I can offset 1 cost against another. i.e. sell current exhaust. but there would still be some potential losses for no gains

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
You would have to yes as it can make a massive difference, especially with a build such as yours.

I'm absolutely confident it's the Kakimoto that's restricting the power, not cheap sadly but like you said you can offset some of the cost by selling the Kakimoto but it's your decision to change systems.

If you like the sound of it and are happy with it then keep it as it is. A remap tweak will probably cost you about £200, mine was a tad less with EFI parts as it only took him an hour or so.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
The RM01A is a really light exhaust as well btw so makes a difference to the amount of weight the car is pulling along.

Frazdog

Advanced Member
will look into it. the car runs well so not sure if I will go for the upgrade and try get more power but then other times I think if I can push 300 it would be great. not sure what I would get over all.

Frazdog

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I don't think it'll be the manifold that's restricting the power, it'll be the Kakimoto Regu. They're notoriously bad for sapping power and flow but they sound great.

I binned mine for a Fujitsubo RM01A and it made a huge difference to power, went from 211 to 237bhp after I changed the exhaust albeit mine was down on power a little anyway.

That exhaust system will be having a huge impact on your engine's breathing, especially on such a high powered build. I'd get rid of it and get an RM01A or a 3" custom system but that will weigh a lot more than than the Fujitsubo, so the power gains will be negated by the extra weight of the 3" system if you go down that route.
So just looked at this detail. Mine isn‘t the kakimoto regu it‘s the GT1 oz. racing exhaust.

You still think it could be that? It‘s same 60mm pipe size.

Not sure pipe size on the manifold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Frazdog said:
So just looked at this detail. Mine isn‘t the kakimoto regu it‘s the GT1 oz. racing exhaust.

You still think it could be that? It‘s same 60mm pipe size.

Not sure pipe size on the manifold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not too sure tbh bud. The older Kakimoto exhausts were well made but seemingly the newer ones aren't and are made in a different factory. Can't comment on that one you have, perhaps someone else can. As above, if the car is going well and you're happy with the exhaust then leave it. If you're concerned about the smoke, book it with Romain or Chris and see if they can do a map tweak and maybe get it running better. I'm fairly confident the car is fine though and doesn't have anything untoward going on. Just take it for a good run and hammer the sh*t out of it, that normally works ha ha ha.