Black Smoke...

Newty

Advanced Member
Just a quickie....

Got told by a buddy who was driving behind me that I have puffs of black smoke coming out of the 'zorst under acceleration. I know it hasn't turned into a diesel overnight, so what do you peep's think?

It was only serviced a few weeks ago @ TDi North, so it can't be a service/oil changes etc.

Answers on a postcard...

Mr JayDM

Yes that is quite normal. A bit of black smoke is just the car burning off fuel as the stock ECU likes to run a tad on the richer side.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Black smoke is bad combustion, blue smoke is oil burning, so I would think nothing to worry about.

brucey87

Advanced Member
iv been told that my car puffs out black smoke aswel. only when im in v-tec and im changing gear. think its pretty common for v-tecs to do it anyway? i hope.....?

Newty

Advanced Member
Ha Ha!! Didn't think of the leg pulling factor...very, very possible! :lol:

Anyway, with a bit of hindsight, the car has only just been to TDi for a service and KPro retune etc, she has been driving as nice as ever...so I doubt there is anything too wrong...

Thanks.

beckett3429

Black smoke is usually due to burning fuel, your car is probably running too rich, better rich than lean tho. However you may be loosing performane due to over fueling. Get an expert to check and set it up if need be, it shouldn't cost much but can make a significant performance difference. Hope this helps and u get to the bottom of it.

Rob84

Advanced Member
beckett3429 said:
Black smoke is usually due to burning fuel, your car is probably running too rich, better rich than lean tho. However you may be loosing performane due to over fueling. Get an expert to check and set it up if need be, it shouldn't cost much but can make a significant performance difference. Hope this helps and u get to the bottom of it.
not really no, as running rich can easily kill an engine by getting petrol mixed in with the oil and also bore wash is a bit risk too when running rich