Blasted ballasts!

Liam-R

Advanced Member
Hello all,
Firstly I'm pleased to report that in the 3 years I've had the teg I've had no major issues however the headlights are becoming a headache.
I've replaced both original ballasts with oem ballasts at considerable expense during my ownership. I had one fail last week and purchased a used one from Integrastella on his eBay shop. All works fine when stationery but when I get going the light goes out.
I put it to a garage and they checked connections and bulb etc but said all seemed fine. What could be causing this? I now plan to swap over ballasts to establish if this is the problem.
Should it be the ballast, does anyone know if the hiddirect kit is ok? I refuse to pay 300 for a Honda ballast which is effectively 15 year old technology.
Thanks

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Being 15 years old id say was a better thing, they should know what they are doing by now if thats what your worried about. Lol

Many people on here are probably running original ballasts which are working well. (Both mine are from a 2001) so id say paying for oem would be best bet money no object. As with anything, anything can fail however reliable something is, its the law of averages.

Check all your connections are good and tight, corrosion free and the lamp is seated properly and you'll probably find it cures it. I know you said a garage looked at it but there's looking, then there's looking. Lol if your prepared to change them over and swap them, might be worth checking yourself first too to rule that out.

Could try the other ones too, as long as the spec is the same and the right lamp is connected it should work fine. Many threads on which ones are a better cheaper alternative to OEM on here bud :)

Hobs

Hi Liam-R

This might be a silly question but have you try'ed new bulbs ?

I had a issue where, I though one of my HID ballast had let go, when I turned the light the passenger side would stay on for 2-3 minutes then start flashing and eventually turn off.

So I try'ed a few things,
1. Swapped the ballast = no joy doing the same thing
2. Swapped the Ballast Loom that's inside the head light = no joy still doing the same thing
3. Checked there was power going to coming to the plug on the loom = getting 12 volts, and finally
4. Swapped the bulbs = Bingo problem solved.

I know you said the garage checked the bulbs, but they may assumed the bulbs were fine when they were turning on for a few minutes.

Hope all that makes sense.

Liam-R

Advanced Member
Thank you both for the detailed responses. I see the point about the oem being 'original and best' and perhaps I am being hasty in dismissing them as too expensive when they generally seem to last over 10 years without problems.
I will check over the wiring this weekend and swap over bits if required. I'm an accountant with limited mechanical skills so fingers crossed...

Erm

Advanced Member
I've run a 3rd party HID kit for about 3 years with no problems.

mikeyw85

I went with a 3rd party HID kit after having problems. No regrets or issues since. HID's Direct I think was the place I got them from.