Bonnet dampers

chrex

Advanced Member
Definitely fancy a set - had them on my old corsa and they were great. Meant you culd half-crack the bonnet too which is good for shows!

Timtegdc5

I have had a set of these on for a few months and they have worked fine so far. Very simple to fit too.

JezW

Advanced Member
Sorry Tim, you've got the ones from ebay? They're made by a company called Autobahn88

DC5RS

DC5
I was considering buying the same kit but didn't know about the quality, how can you close the bonnet with these anyway? the are like the boot one?

YENRAV

Advanced Member
They look better the the NRG set i bought for £90.

Both ball ends are painted/coated... the NRGs were not... rusted!

JezW

Advanced Member
These are apparently 1kg and the NRG dampers are 200g! Steel compared to aluminium I suppose.

Kerv

Advanced Member
JezW said:
These are apparently 1kg and the NRG dampers are 200g! Steel compared to aluminium I suppose.
Be careful, there are 2 types. One is designed for OEM bonnet and the other for carbon fibre bonnets.
I am guessing the heavier is for the OEM and the lighter for the carbon.

JezW

Advanced Member
I'm comparing the weight of the Autobahn88 dampers to the chrome NRG dampers.

Not the NRG chrome to the NRG carbon fibre...

dotty

Advanced Member
YENRAV said:
They look better the the NRG set i bought for £90.

Both ball ends are painted/coated... the NRGs were not... rusted!
Mine are holding up well..

JezW

Advanced Member
They arrived from China 4 days after I ordered them :) I didn't get a chance to fit them last weekend but had time today:

The brackets on the bonnet look like they were made to fit a few cars, but still fit well. Easy to install and they look well made.

The only possible negative is that they're only painted, not plated. With heavy use the paint might come off the ball joints, leading to
rust. Something to keep an eye on, might never happen though.

DC5RS

DC5
Was waiting for you to post your review before i get mine :D i should order them now thanks!

S'arrt

How are people finding the eBay ones are holding up now it's been a while. Worth the £50 ish..over more expensive options?