Boosting the DC5R

kieranH

Advanced Member
miki1212 said:
4wd civic? lol way off topic now, how many people commented apart from dave c actually have much experience of turbo'd tegs lol
Whats wrong with that idea? Things evolve in life you know. Cars dont have to stay the same way just because the previous model was such.

There are also alot of knowledgable people on this forum that can give input on boosting a dc5....

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Not just this forum, all the older Honda models have run home made turbos.

I used to be on CRX UK and a guy on there was running a 380bhp CRX VTEC on standard internals and had been for some time before upgrading the internals, really well built and tuned.

Didn't go pop once and would kill most things. 380 brake out of something that ways less than or equivalent to an Exige.

scrawnban

Crazylegs said:
Not just this forum, all the older Honda models have run home made turbos.

I used to be on CRX UK and a guy on there was running a 380bhp CRX VTEC on standard internals and had been for some time before upgrading the internals, really well built and tuned.

Didn't go pop once and would kill most things. 380 brake out of something that ways less than or equivalent to an Exige.
380bhp on standard internals..wow...any link for his build? K series or b series engine?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
The thing you have to remember with 4wd is its actually a bit of a feedback killer. You're adding a couple hundred kilos straight away which makes a once nimble chassis one that's weighed down heavily and it had to transfer weight through corners. It also increases power loss through 4 wheels and it actually creates drag at higher speeds.

BTCC showed a good example of the negligable benefit of 4wd on track quite a few years ago when Audi ran the early A4. The only time they were really showing up the FWD layout was on a wet track.

There are a few very good 4wd cars out there but typically only in a much higher class like the R8 and GTR. Lower powered cars like the TT and S3 are always described as uninspiring to drive.

I know FWD is seen as low down in the pecking order for choice but actually the DC5 and many other type R's show it can work very well and give the average driver much more useable power than you'd get from RWD. It's just about finding better ways of putting the power down and Honda have done a good job of it up to now!

mark2390

Advanced Member
kieranH said:
Whats wrong with that idea? Things evolve in life you know. Cars dont have to stay the same way just because the previous model was such.

There are also alot of knowledgable people on this forum that can give input on boosting a dc5....
Yeah things progress. They had no choice but turbo to keep with other manufacturers. .Emmisions and more power, if they brought out a type r with 220 or 240 bhp no one would buy it. Maybe a good thing a new generation of honda engine..if I keep mine long term ill be thinking of boost.
Ive had it 2 years nearly already and not fed up with it yet, this is my third type r over 10 years and always come back, I just love the engine and gearboxs

beppe786

Beppe
old video.. but you can see how sc puts power down.. Turns NA teg into an Animal

From Stand Still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkowVUq1-cc

Rolling 3rd gear pull / slight flash of engine light false knock on change gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZk09_AUZ04&feature=youtu.be

Rob.

Advanced Member
Here's a vid of me driving a mates EP3 that is turbo charged running 340 on low boost and 410bhp when pressing the high boost button on the steering wheel in very wet conditions at Oulton...... very little wheel spin for such a powerful car, in fact no more than on my 270bhp racecar !
I managed to out drag a radical in these conditions too on the same day which he wasn't too pleased about :)

Turbo Civic EP3 Oulton: http://youtu.be/GcZFDJdJI08

Stuarty

Advanced Member
This talk of FWD cars with big bhp numbers being undriveable isn't true. If the car is setup correctly and driven correctly then there shouldn't be a problem.

My old mk5 golf GTi was running 353bhp and 330 lbs/ft and it drove as a standard golf would. It was fast but boring at the same time, no real feel to it. Hopefully the new Civic Type R manages to be fast and still maintain the Honda feel you get when driving Type R's

Modern technology allows cars nowadays to run big power through the front wheels with E diff's and adaptive suspension. There's a lot of people already on here saying it's moving away from Honda's heritage of NA but IMO they're just catching up with every other manufacturer.

dave c

400hp K20
miki1212 said:
how many people commented apart from dave c actually have much experience of turbo'd tegs lol

This is what I find funniest, the people who have an opinion on everything but have based all there "knowledge" (opinion), on either forum chitter chatter, rumour, hear say and generally anything but actual experience.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in having an opinion, it would be a boring world without it but I think this is the source of a lot of false information, especially when it comes to cars. Everyone wants to justify their own decisions so you are always likely to have biased comments.

Someone shares an "opinion" and writes it as "a fact" then someone else reads it, quotes it etc etc. Then before you know it... an air filter adds 50hp lol

I think Rob's comment / video paints the picture pretty well...

Traction IS good on a high power FWD car
Stock engines CAN take it if mapped correctly (assuming sensible boost levels)
Stock gearboxes WILL take the torque unless driven like an ape.

Regardless of that everything WILL break eventually and higher power, means higher wear! Therefore boosted cars will wear their components faster than a lower powered N/A equivalent.

Getting back on topic I "think" 7psi on a standard motor will be good for 300-350hp using a TDi Turbo kit and will be very usable and safe on a daily basis with not many downsides.

I make 330 at 7psi and the car is a pleasure to drive, nothing feels strained or under undue stress but that said i have upgraded some components.

So... your decision is whether you think 5K or however much the TDi kits are, are worth an additional +150hp.

Or if you want more... add roughly the same again for a built motor and work out if an additional +300hp is enough and worth it for the money.

I can't speak for Supercharger conversions but from what i've seen you seem to get around 75-100hp for a couple of grand.

beppe786

Beppe
dave c said:
I can't speak for Supercharger conversions but from what i've seen you seem to get around 75-100hp for a couple of grand.
this is bang on, at 7psi non cooled supercharger will only make 75hp / 100hp max

if you want more then your need aftercooler and up psi psi bigger throttle body and bigger inlet

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Beppe said:
old video.. but you can see how sc puts power down.. Turns NA teg into an Animal

From Stand Still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkowVUq1-cc

Rolling 3rd gear pull / slight flash of engine light false knock on change gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZk09_AUZ04&feature=youtu.be
Sounds lovely that!

God I want a SC so bad.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'd be tempted by JRSC in future too if they weren't so difficult to get hold of. That's what puts me off them.

beppe786

Beppe
its the easiness of install thats appeals to jrsc.. take off intake manifold and just bolt on.. for 100hp

• keep existing manifold and exhaust
  • keep your intake
  • no need to run any oil lines from sump ( oil contained in jrsc)
  • might make less bhp then turbo but you're always in the power band
  • no need to reduce rev limit like turbo can rev to 8800 on stock cams

dave7368

Advanced Member
Beppe said:
its the easiness of install thats appeals to jrsc.. take off intake manifold and just bolt on.. for 100hp

• keep existing manifold and exhaust
  • keep your intake
  • no need to run any oil lines from sump ( oil contained in jrsc)
  • might make less bhp then turbo but you're always in the power band
yeh, looks boring under the bonnet though, everyone goes SC route.. hehe ;)