Boot locking + unlocking problems/where can I buy a boot locking actuator?

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
First of all apologies, I hate topics asking where to buy things when Google will give the answer in a second, but I have Google'd high and low and cannot find a thing. Also gives me a chance to explain the problem in case one of you more mechanically minded guys think it is NOT the boot actuator/it is something else.

Basically for as long as I can remember, I've had temperamental boot locking issues pre and post Toad Ai606 being installed and it is doing my nut in. Any of the below scenarios can happen on a journey-to-journey basis:

Boot will unlock - drive and complete journey/unlock the car - boot will unlock and open when I get out the car (as expected!)

Boot will unlock - drive and complete journey/unlock the car - boot will not unlock or open when I get out the car

Boot will not unlock - drive and complete journey/unlock the car - boot will unlock and open when I get out the car

Boot will not unlock - drive and complete journey/unlock the car - boot will not unlock or open when I get out the car

Reason I mention the Toad alarm is because it automatically locks the doors after you start the ignition as long as all doors are closed prior to turning the ignition (in case different to other alarms). Doors unlock/reopen when the ignition is switched off also. The boot has had the same issues before the Toad was fitted.

Additional info - passenger and driver doors work fine. Occasionally the boot lid will lift about half an inch when attempted to open then will get stuck and be half-unlocked - I end up having to force the boot down with that half inch gap to properly close again. I have also tried WD40 etc. on the mechanism. Have not yet removed the boot plastic to investigate the mechanism - not sure I have the mad skillz for this. I have searched the forum for similar issues, actuator was mentioned but did not find anything as specific (or as detailed haha). I have removed the small panel in the middle inside of the boot and attempted to 'manually open' the boot by moving the white lever left and right - absolutely nothing happens.

Basically, is this my boot actuator or possibly something else? If this is my actuator then great as the thread will be worthwhile - any idea where I can get one (new)?

Thanks very much!

Midge

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Appreciate the suggestion Dave but if it is the actuator I would prefer to buy new, particularly because of A. the prices he charges and B. to get a working boot for a decent length of time!

Cheers though, will defo keep that idea on the back burner :)

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Cheers for the suggestion gents.

Thanks for that Gaza, I was looking at that link last night! Judging a book by its cover here but not sure I want to order through it despite being the only online option so far. Any idea what the difference is between the two actuator part numbers anyone? :xconfused:

19 74896-S6M-A01
Add inquiry
ACTUATOR ASSY., TAIL GATE JPY 12,695 USD 115.41

19 74896-S6M-003
Add inquiry
ACTUATOR ASSY., TAIL GATE JPY 10,101 USD 91.83

Probably easier just going through a Honda dealer as mentioned! Thanks again

jrscho

Advanced Member
Could try ask injection imports or Tegiwa to see if they can source one? As I know they both can source oem parts from Japan, that's if you can wait..

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Thanks for the suggestions tico/jrscho, I've done just that!

Japserviceparts got back really quickly and can source from Japan so at least the part exists! The guy also believes the part number is definitely 74896-S6M-003 for anyone else in the same predicament.

Will PM you ATR!

badeshi

Advanced Member
I have very similar problem, except it never opens when I use the fob/central locking but will unlock using the white lever from inside. Currently I have to crawl through the car when I want to open it.
I keep meaning to investigate further so will be interested to see how you get on!

Good luck and take a picture?
B

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Hi mate, I should have updated this!

I bought a new actuator from eBay (America) and with the help of a zip tie my boot is back to normal. The Acura RSX actuator fits, you will have to American-ise your search for it though so replace 'boot' with 'Cargo' or 'Trunk' ;) alternatively the part number is 74896-S6M-A01. Japserviceparts, Hendy and Tegiwa all very kindly got back to me and were able to source the part (as did Integrastella but used) however, I saved quite a lot of money using the method I chose.

Only issue I have/had is the electrical connector does not click into the new actuator (similar to the connection an ethernet cable has to your laptop)! The connector was popping out of the new actuator housing and my boot stopped working again but I've wrapped a cable tie around the electrical connector through a gap in the actuator so movement is now near impossible. Aside from that and getting the boot trim off it's all very straightforward, the actuator itself is only held on with 2 gold screws! My boot has worked fine since, touch wood.

I can get a picture if it would help you in some way but I would put an actuator on it that your actuator needs replaced :) Hope the above helps