Bracing and strut types

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Alright peeps,

I'm looking at uprating all my strut/brace points and been gauging in getting J's Racing stuff... I would like to know what sections do what exactly and if it's required or not? Or just to look pretty?

Integra DC5 Front Tower Bar - guess this one sits where oem is currently at.

Integra DC5 Rear Tower Bar - this for bottom part of the suspension turret base?

Integra DC5 Rear Piller Bar - this for the top of the suspension turret mount? Can this also be used for harness belts as in feed it over and then have a steeper angle?

Integra DC5 Side Inner Brace - these ones go behind the body panel above the front wheels?

Integra DC5 Rear Lower Arm Bar - these go bottom of the car towards the back where the rear control arm links are?

Cheers.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Yella Fella said:
Alright peeps,

I'm looking at uprating all my strut/brace points and been gauging in getting J's Racing stuff... I would like to know what sections do what exactly and if it's required or not? Or just to look pretty?

Integra DC5 Front Tower Bar - guess this one sits where oem is currently at.

Integra DC5 Rear Tower Bar - this for bottom part of the suspension turret base?

Integra DC5 Rear Piller Bar - this for the top of the suspension turret mount? Can this also be used for harness belts as in feed it over and then have a steeper angle?

Integra DC5 Side Inner Brace - these ones go behind the body panel above the front wheels?

Integra DC5 Rear Lower Arm Bar - these go bottom of the car towards the back where the rear control arm links are?

Cheers.
Rear c pillar bar mounts above the rear seats on the seat belt points (the proper name for this escapes me..). You forgot the other J's braces as well: rear gate bars that join to the c pillar bar and the floor bar ;)

Out of all of those, the one brace Mr Umemoto told me to get was the fender braces. I'm sure the rest benefit the 'feel' probably apart from the lower arm bar which IMO only adds bling (which I like incidentally :))

There are quite a few good posts on braces on clubrsx given that a lot of them go mad over braces. A good summary of the amount of 'benefit' is in this post http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=249924&highlight=fender+brace although as always, the best bracing would be a welded in cage which I'm sure you know mate.

Ultra Racing provide a good demo of what some braces do: http://www.ultraracing.com.my/template.asp?menuid=30

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Great feedback JT. The main rear one I was wanting is the upper tower strut, especially if it can be used alongside harness to direct the angle of the belts down like a harness bar?

Cage be awhile yet, too much money hence current bracing will have to do the job for the time being :). Think the fenders will be easy to install?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Re: rear upper tower strut, are you talking about the Mugen bar that sits across the back or the rear seats?

If yes, that's a bit extreme to use as a harness guide mate, given the angle you are creating. That would create an angle that would place all the strain on the bar or am I just misunderstanding?
I would definitely not recommend any of these struts to take the full forces of a harness.

I wouldn't worry too much about the steep angles created from the harness. Have a read of the pdf mentioned in this thread:
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26894&hilit=harness+anglef

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
That's what I was thinking, because teigwa are doing a harness bar, where would that fit then?

I'm having words about J's stuff, so based on what you sent last night JT (good read... was up till 2 :lol: ). I'll be going for front strut and side fenders, still deciding on the lower tie bars... not sure if that's just for the rears only?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Their harness bar fits on the front seat belt upper points and one at the bottom somewhere. For me personally, I would only use these types of harness bars as a harness guide bar.

Lower tie bars are rear only except for Spoon who do a front one as well AFAIK. A lot of people will tell you that rear tie bars do F all and I'm inclined to agree, although I'm getting one but that in all honesty is for the bling :-"

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
haha nice... just checked some welded roll cage prices that conform to MSA/FIA, looking at easily nearly a grand, with another grand on top to fit/weld one in :eek:

I think I'll get some struts for the time being, so which braces actually "work" rather than bling, as I rather spend money on that sector. I know front oem sturt and rear lower strut is there. I'm more inclined again getting front tower strut and rear pillar strut (though not sure if that does anything or not). Fender brace... based on that link you showed above... surely lower tie bar does something? The animation was animated well in how it handles the car :lol:

blueguy

Resident J's whore
That Ultraracing pic shows the extreme movement for that lower tie bar area. If you look on our cars, the middle part of the chassis that the LCA's connect to looks pretty solid to me :)

Rear c pillar bar would be good for mounting a camera :lol:

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I'm sure they have some benefit in some shape or form. Wait for your track day Ed, and then see where the car falls short :)

VT-Doo

RushDoo
£1000 for a cage doesn't sound too bad, compare that to the prices for the big Japanese named strut braces.
Personally I'm going to go with Ultra Racing's products whenever I get round to it.

eXceed

Resident Driver
So no one's really said whats good for increasing stiffness/rigidity. What's the best setup without going full cage? All these underbody bars look a bit :-k to me...

alucardo

Advanced Member
My opinion is that the best braces are the front for example im now running standard where before I had the J's racing one the front end doesnt feel as sharp. On my dc2 I had a front H brace that really made the front end dig in on corners especially uphill ones.

jay82

Advanced Member
Front under brace was the only one i really felt a big differents with. the steering just felt more sharper
the upper mugen brace made a very big differents for holding down my gm :lol: