Brake Caliper Clearance

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Finally got the dosh together to get some F1's on the wheels I got a while back.

Wheels are 7.5x18" with 55mm offset (Honda accessory for new Civic or Accord). I thought there would be tons of clearance for brake calipers, but they fit - just. The calipers are less than 1mm away when wheel turns. In fact you would be lucky to get a sheet of paper between!

I this too close? Does the wheel flex under load and could rub, jam or break something? I can easily get a 1mm spacer but can I drive it meantime?

mikegsi

Staff member
afaik if it clears it then it clears it! it should only be the pads that move slightly when going from frowards to reverse and vice versa, those wheels look cool mate, might i suggest lowering it a little now!
not seen black on silver before either!

Evs

Advanced Member
I think if it's as close as a paper thickness then that's pretty marginal. The wheel will flex to an extent, dependent on how hard you drive and how stiff the wheel is. Honda OEM wheels are made very substantially so that's in your favour I suppose. But then I can't imagine why you'd want to put 18s on your car, never mind Honda OEM ones - they must weigh a ton :?

Just take it out for a blast and see if it skims the paint off the calipers :idea:

mikegsi said:
afaik if it clears it then it clears it!
Well that's pretty obvious when it's static, but what about when it's moving? :idea: :roll:

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
But then I can't imagine why you'd want to put 18s on your car, never mind Honda OEM ones - they must weigh a ton
They're definitely a bit heavier than standard wheels - but not too bad I thought. The main reason for buying them was £170 for set of 4 :shock: and the offset being perfect for the Teg.

Think I will get some sort of shims to space them at least 1mm.

At the same time I finally finished refurbing some wheels for the track and got some old tyres fitted to them so ready to go for my first trackday soon :lol:

spo_gen

Advanced Member
They look like the Golf GTI ones.. :wink:

I have the CE28's and they are damn close to the calipers. No troubles at all.