Brake discs screws

SimonJames

Advanced Member
Ordered some new front and rear discs and pads, they arrived Friday so decided to fit them today....... well i failed

I started at the rear and rounded the screw i hit it so hard (using an impact driver) so got my small chisel out and rounded the chisel, so got the drill out and broke 4 drill bits, i seem to be able to drill in to the disc far easier than the screw, i have for now put everything back together with sliders etc all freshly lubed up

My plan now is to order some new screws ready for next week end but how im going remove the screws is another problem i have thought about a grinder but as the screw head is close to wheel stud im only really thinking that as a last resort

anyone have any idea's ?

SimonJames

Advanced Member
No dont think they are needed, once wheel is on and bolts are tight its not going anywhere, just the problem of getting old out

redcap

Advanced Member
Take it to a mechanic?

Impact driver should do the job, swapped mine with no issues. You really shouldn't need to be drilling or grinding parts off your car.

chrex

Advanced Member
I had to drill out the screws on my Mrs' tigra, but that was before i was told to trick of getting a decent screwdriver...and a hammer :p The teg's ones were tight, and a quick 'tap' with the 4lb lump hammer on s'driver and they came straight out. :)

dc5ian

Advanced Member
dont worry about it, i had to drill mine off, and put the new discs on without them. all they are there for is when you take the caliper off the discs dont fall off at the same time. lets face it how often are you going to do that. once the wheels are bolted on they aint going anywhere

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i always put copperslip on the threads.

i have changed hundreds of discs on various cars and NEVER had to grind any off i was taught a good trick when i was an apprentice engineer,

-Get an old screwdriver with the CORRECT sized head (no3 pozi maybe for s dc5) and remove the plastic handle, so you just have the steel shank and the head left.

-put the driver into the screw and hit it hard with a lump hammer or similar, while this doesnt loosen the screw, it helps to break the physical bond between the screw threads and and hub threads at a molecular level,

i have sucessfully removed every one with a decent quality driver after that. I dont have an impact driver in my tool kit as i have never needed one.

SimonJames

Advanced Member
got them out ended up welding an M8 nut to the screw, just the centre of the nut so i managed to get my breaker bar and 13mm socket on then, 6 just snapped leaving thread in the hub but 2 screwed out, typical that the 2 were on the same wheel LOL

next weekend i'm going to strip the discs off and see if i can turn the threads out with some mole grips

SimonJames

Advanced Member
going to try getting them out so i can fit new, i would rather fit them as per Honda intended i'm fussy like that :)