Brake disk recomendation

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Hi all,
I have done a search but not really much help.
I have had my dc5 for about a year now, the pervious owner had ferodo ds2500 pads on the front with standard disks. No idea what's on the rear.
I inspect the front pads every time I clean the wheels and they never seem to ware down but the disks have 2-3mm ware on them now.

What disks do people recommend and why? OEM?
Also, I have not looked closely at the rears but what pad and disk setup is also good.
I'm not tracking the car but I do like to drive fast on the roads :cool: (within the speed limits) :cool:

Thanks for any help.
James.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Brake disk recomendation

oem discs and ds2500 pads are a great combo for fast road.

drilled discs can help with braking performance but can also fail quicker and dramatically, grooved discs are a decent upgrade but will normally make more dust with some small braking performance increase.

if you are staying on road replace what you have for new you wont go far wrong

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Ok great, thanks for the help.
Any recommendation for the rear pads? I'm not sure what make they are on the car.

dotty

Advanced Member

It is also worth getting some braided lines while you are at it 8)

Paul G

Members

JamesSSB said:
Ok great, thanks for the help.
Any recommendation for the rear pads? I'm not sure what make they are on the car.

OEM rear pads, Mintex 1144 frt pads :wink:

Grov

Banned

Are the OEM discs bigger than the one's on the EP3? I just got my OEM discs off Dave the other day, and they seem thicker and heavier than the CTR's i did a few years ago.

Mark_teg

Staff member

The hub section is thicker (if that makes sense) on the DC5. Not sure about diameter..

Grov

Banned

After a bit of googling, looks like there both 25mm wide, thought they were thicker, lol. Still pretty heavy.

Can't imagine how massive they are on something like that Bentley Supersports, 400mm and god knows how thick, lol.

Mark_teg

Staff member

Thats the braking surface being 25mm. I said the hub section (for want of a better way of describing it) is wider :xyes:

Grov

Banned

The thickness/width of the discs is 25mm, i was answering my own question, i know there both 300m in diameter.

Nevermind, heh.

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Iv done a search in eBay for front disks and there are loads of disks that are stated as oem brembo but drilled and or grooved.
Would you recomend drilled or grooved or both. I know the good and bad points but they look great!

Grov

Banned
Iv done a search in eBay for front disks and there are loads of disks that are stated as oem brembo but drilled and or grooved.
Would you recomend drilled or grooved or both. I know the good and bad points but they look great!
They might look great, but they are bound to crack over time, if there OEM discs iam pretty sure they have just taken them and then drilled them afterwords, which is gonna make a perfectly good disc weaker.

Either get OEM and leave them or another disc. If your not tracking it i really don't see a need for anything more than OEM discs.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I've got the original brembo discs on mine that have been grooved and dimpled I got them from mtec brakes and they came in original brembo and Honda packaging, I only got them for the looks to be honest, but they are great and have had no problems with them at all.

Alot of performance discs that you would buy have been grooved after manufacturing it's only a select few that are cast with the grooves and holes etc

it wont weaken them to a point where it would make any difference from day to day use and even maybe a few track days, but it all depends on what your after, as i said I only went for them for looks and not a performance increase.