Brake Dust Issue After beeding Project Mu HC+800 – Help plz

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
I got my DC5 2 months ago from Torque GT, where the car was cleaned and prepared well for collection. The OEM brake pad does create dust but not much.

Before I change them to Project Mu HC+ 800 (Front), I only use the Engine Degreaser, water, wipe and fibre towel to clean them up. It took time but not much effort be honest.
After bedding the Project Mu HC+ 800 pads, the wheels and calipers are covered by dust, which is very common and normal, so I expected washing them regularly.

When I took the wheel off and tried to clean the Brembo Caliper, I am unable to restore it back to the previous state. The brake dust like baked on the caliper paint or else.
So far I have tried engine degrease, standard paint cleaner, brake cleaner (wipe off and clean by water quickly), autoSmart Wheel cleaner (soap 1-3 minutes before wipe them off with warm water).
However, none of them works so far. Sigh.

I did not want to keep trying like a voyager, so better ask the people here who got more experience to advise me please.

Before:

After

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I'm not sure why that particular pad dust has almost baked in, but when my calipers did that I ended up using T Cut to restore them.
I had repainted and lacquered but didn't bake the calipers so after some heavy braking the lacquer must have started to soften.
Had yours been refurbed and maybe not pushed it hard until fitting the new pads?

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
I have not done any stupid but just follow the bedding procedure, and the brake pad are all well. Then lot of dust has been created.
when I cleaned the caliper, I found the dust/dirt on the paint that I cannot remove, no matter what I tried so far.

It is sad but friends told me that it could happen to many of us. When we take the cars to track, it could make it even worse.

I cannot pursue the showroom or like new condition, but just want to know what kind of cleaner people use to clean the calipers effectively.

Thanks for your advice on T-cut, would try it in my list.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Are you sure paint on calipers has gone completely hard?

I've seen issues similar to this on other parts where paint appears to be hard but isn't and dirt gets embedded too easily

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
Shortstuff said:
Are you sure paint on calipers has gone completely hard?

I've seen issues similar to this on other parts where paint appears to be hard but isn't and dirt gets embedded too easily
The paint is hard because when I bought the car and collected from Torque GT, the caliper looks in good condition (not perfect but good).
Then I did car wash, and also clean up the caliper when I changed the pad from OEM to Project Mu.

The only thing I have done on calipers are cleaning them using wipe and fibre towel with some engine degreaser, then applied two layer of Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, then then caliper looks excellent.
After bedding, lot of dust as expected, then tried to clean but fail to restore it back to previous state.

May be I did not wipe hard enough but I can see most of caliper area are clean or easy to clean but the center area have some grime/dirt that I cannot remove.
In the end, I have tried brake cleaner, autosmart wheel cleaner (1:2 diluted), engine greaser, etc.

The paint does not look sharp bright anymore, and it looks dull. May I need to pressure wash it?

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I did all of the above to the part I had and still dirt bedded in. Now with repainted part no issues

Might be different. Otherwise I'm not sure

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
ic ic, I think very likely in the end I need to follow your route to repaint it when I rebuild the calipers.
I am only curious to know whether it is the new pad's dust compound or just about time the paint has been "thinner".

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
FYI
This is the latest condition after one track day.
I call it stage 3 of skin cancer on the calipers paint.

Hopeless and helpless, don't think anything in this world can restore it. The only way is to take the caliper out for repaint.
The need for brake performance on track is now about time to pay the price at cost of cosmetic.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Happened to my rears at at a track day.. Got all my calipers powder coated and never happened again. Even leaving them just painted without lacquer could stop it

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
Happened to my rears at at a track day.. Got all my calipers powder coated and never happened again. Even leaving them just painted without lacquer could stop it
This is always in my questions. So Lacquer sometimes made worse especially the reaction with brake dust compound, right?

Rob R

Advanced Member
Looks more like the paint has reacted to temperature rather than brake dust. Could try to use something like Iron X to clean them and then give them a polish. Are brakes not a function over form feature though?

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
Get used to it, The brake function very well with HC800+ pad, the appearance is no longer important a the fun in the track.