Brake Dust!!!!

FTBBCRedline

Tried doing a search, typed in Brake Dust and ended up looking at a car stereo advert :?

Bascially my front bakes are chucking out brake dust like you wouldn't believe. I had a DC2 & an S2k before my DC5 and I have never seen anything like it. Washed the wheels yesterday. Have done about 5 miles since and already they are appearing a lot blacker. Someone at work even asked why I had different coloured wheels on the front.

It obviously doesn't help having white wheels but has anyone else had this issue or are my brake pads just crap?

Cheers :)

Archie

Advanced Member
Change the colour of your wheels ! I did and I can go a week and they still dont look dirty :D

neil_integra

Advanced Member
what pads are you using?
Standard honda ones were terrible i changed to endless pads and they are better but still less cleaning required than standard honda ones.
They dont have any where near the brake fade that the standard ones have either.

FTBBCRedline

Thanks for all the advice/tips :? :lol:

I'm not sure on what pads they are. They were on there when I bought the car. I've only had it for 2 weeks.

I will sort some new pads out for it soon though as they are a nightmare.

gaz3434

Advanced Member
I installed 2 new OEM Honda front brake pads a few weeks ago and have found them to create less brake dust than the previous pads, which were also OEM. So I think that their pads are improving, although the wheels still look grey/black after a week's driving!

Just have to keep washing them at least weekly, or change the wheels to a set of anthracite/gunmetal ones!

hsvgtsuk

I've got the same trouble too, but I console myself in the fact that it has possibly the best brakes of any car I've owned.

Little tip. Use a high quality wax (Carnauba or such like), and once the wheels are clean, give them a couple of coats. Then all you need to do is point the hose at them and the dirt slides off!

silvester

if they are giving out far too much. it could be a sticking caliper. stand on brake peddle then try and free wheel as very low speed, if it stops you have a prob....