Brake Fluid Change Process

logik

Advanced Member
Looking to do a full brake fluid change. As I like to do everything myself when it comes to the car, I am wondering if you guys would think it safe/recommended to go messing with a brake fluid change. I have done the Pads and Discs without issues but never the fluid.

How many 500ml bottles would I need for a full change?
Are there any good guides out there for changing the brake fluid in the DC5?

Or is this something I should be getting done in a garage?

Cheers

Allen

Advanced Member
Find a helpfull mechanic mate. Much easyer :wink:

Not hard to do, will just be alot easyer on a ramp.
Think I used about 3 500ml, but get 4 to be on the safe side

j30l

Advanced Member
start furthest away from the brake master cylinder then work you way closest. i.e passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front then drivers front.

remember you have 2 nipples on the front calipers. do the outside one first then the inside.

I used a lucazade bottle and a length of windscreen washer pipe. Put the ring part of the spanner on first then the pipe. The other end in the clear bottle. you will be able to see the dirty fluid come once opened and someone pumping the peddle for you.

logik

Advanced Member
Must you drain both DOT 3/4 containers? I.e. the small one beside the large one?

dc5ian

Advanced Member
sum adive,, it will take at least 2 x 500ml bottles to do the job.. i done mine few weeks ago and 2 bottles got it all flushed through and bang in the middle of min - max mark.. its quite simple, i would get sum1 to give u a hand tho, they can pump the break pedel so u can see when the new brake fluid comes through, then u no when to stop pumping and then just move onto the next one, remembering to start from the furthest cailper away (passenger rear)

logik

Advanced Member
Thanks for that mate. As i mentioned above about the second, smaller container for DOT 3/4 beside the main one. Can anyone tell me if that needs to be drained also?

JohnnyC

Also, don't drain it as in empty it out - you'll end up with air getting in.

If you're unsure, take it to a garage, brakes are kinda important :wink:

logik

Advanced Member
Ah no, i know that mate, i have done brakes before many times, just not Brembo's. Double nipple on the front calipar.

hussain124

Advanced Member
no point starting a new thread.
what if you just want to top brake fluid up? you just do it as normal dont you? just like you would with oil?

sorry for the stupid question guys

JT3173

Advanced Member
With my trip to the Ring being only next week I have decided to upgrade my brake hoses to Hel braided ones and do a full brake fluid change too to be on the safe side.

I have bought AP Racing 600 Racing brake fluid, its DOT 4, is this the right one to use, its this one on the AP site, second one down http://www.apracing.com/info/info.asp?section=Fluid+Details_48

If someone could just let me know that its ok for ABS and the right one to use I would appriciate it before I change the fluid.

Thanks ;)