Brake/Pedal Noise on stopping ??

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
I recently fitted some new MTEC discs and Dixcel pads but I don't imagine it has anything to do with those.

Something weird happened when I had to make an emergency stop, once the car came to a stop the brake pedal felt limp and it made an odd 'Spring' like noise, similar to pinging one of those door stop things.

Not sure what this was? I was trying to read online and some people saying it's ABS related but it sounds like it comes from the actual pedal or down in the footwell area?

I replicated it again by doing another stop from about 50/60.

Any ideas what this might be?

spooke

Advanced Member
Can you feel anything through the pedal? It may be that they've glazed, what process did you use to bed them in. The first time I fitted new discs and pads I had a similar thing but felt it through the pedal, after bedding them in again it went. When you say the pedal felt limp, I assume you mean it didn't just drop to the floor lol

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Can you feel anything through the pedal? It may be that they've glazed, what process did you use to bed them in. The first time I fitted new discs and pads I had a similar thing but felt it through the pedal, after bedding them in again it went. When you say the pedal felt limp, I assume you mean it didn't just drop to the floor lol
As i'm slowing down you could feel the ABS but then when the car stopped the Pedal felt light? What would the pedal feel like if they have glazed over though?

There is no issues at all with the actual brake performance it was only when I made the emergency stop and its only when the car stops it makes the noise.

Bedded them in by going up to about 40mph then 50% pedal to about 5mph a few times then from 60mph to 15-20mph.

spooke

Advanced Member
HellaaDope5 said:
As i'm slowing down you could feel the ABS but then when the car stopped the Pedal felt light? What would the pedal feel like if they have glazed over though?

There is no issues at all with the actual brake performance it was only when I made the emergency stop and its only when the car stops it makes the noise.

Bedded them in by going up to about 40mph then 50% pedal to about 5mph a few times then from 60mph to 15-20mph.
I'm pretty sure this is what I experienced, pressing the brake pedal felt like grinding metal on metal and I did notice ABS kick in. You can visually see if they're glazed, have a Google for a image.

You can try re-bedding them in as that's what solved mine.

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
spooke said:
I'm pretty sure this is what I experienced, pressing the brake pedal felt like grinding metal on metal and I did notice ABS kick in. You can visually see if they're glazed, have a Google for a image.

You can try re-bedding them in as that's what solved mine.
Thanks mate, I will try that.

I'll report back tonight if it dries up I'll re-bed them in!

It's just the noise that it makes at the end? Surely glazed rotors wouldn't cause a noise like that?

spooke

Advanced Member
HellaaDope5 said:
Thanks mate, I will try that.

I'll report back tonight if it dries up I'll re-bed them in!

It's just the noise that it makes at the end? Surely glazed rotors wouldn't cause a noise like that?
By a spring noise, do you mean like a fast judder? Sorta like clutch judder.

I think what most people say is to take the pads out and clean the discs and pads with some sand paper, again there's more info online but you'll only need to do it if they are indeed glazed.

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
spooke said:
By a spring noise, do you mean like a fast judder? Sorta like clutch judder.

I think what most people say is to take the pads out and clean the discs and pads with some sand paper, again there's more info online but you'll only need to do it if they are indeed glazed.
Yeah similar to a judder, like I said best comparison is if you were to ping one of those springy door stoppers!

That noise from what sounds like behind the brake pedal.

nsxer

Advanced Member
Funny enough I heard the spring type noise today when bringing my dc5 to a stop
I have just changed the pads to Dixcel ES pads.

Coming from the front and I had the wheels turned slightly to the right as I was turning on a junction. Did not hear noise again rest of day

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
I'll be getting some braided hoses and be putting new fluids in when I do so.

I'm not 100% now that it is from the brakes, was driving down from my house and went over a little hump and I actually think its the bonnet rattling!

Does anyone else's bonnet rattle/squeak?

Fez

Advanced Member
HellaaDope5 said:
I'll be getting some braided hoses and be putting new fluids in when I do so.

I'm not 100% now that it is from the brakes, was driving down from my house and went over a little hump and I actually think its the bonnet rattling!

Does anyone else's bonnet rattle/squeak?
Mine does, dont hear it very often though. Theres adjustable rubber pads under the bonnet try screwing them out so the bonnet is tighter against them.