Brake, Power Steering Fluids

logik

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

So would you recommend to use Amsoil ATF in power steering for a DC5? And Amsoil MTF on the gearbox?

Also, would the Halford Brand of DOT4 and DOT 5.1 perform ok in the brakes? Has anyone used it before? Or what brand would you recommend?

Can anyone tell me where to order Amsoil ATF and MTF fluids for delivery.

Cheers,
Karl

logik

Advanced Member
Gunn79 said:
logik said:
OK thank you, and what about the Power Steering, i am near the LOW level on it, so i need to top it up soon.

Any ideas? Amsoil ATF ok for Power Steering?

Also Gunn79, do you mean:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1051-amsoil ... d-mtf.aspx
Thats the stuff - You need 1.5L, so 2 of those in the link.
Thanks very much Gunn79. Also what are you using in your brakes mate? Plenty of good brands available on that site also, it would save the hassle of ordering from two different sites. I get my engine oil off them anyway so i could just make a large order and get it all off them.

And what are you using as Power Steering fluid?

Many Thanks,
Karl

Gunn79

Advanced Member
My brake fluid and powersteering fluid is the same since import, so not sure. I have used the Motul RBF600 in the past, and would use it again in the DC5

logik

Advanced Member
Gunn79 said:
My brake fluid and powersteering fluid is the same since import, so not sure. I have used the Motul RBF600 in the past, and would use it again in the DC5
Ok thanks very much. Been a big help.

logik

Advanced Member
Can anyone educate me on the best Power Steering Fluid please? Or what you have used before yourself?

Thanks

spike

Get down to the dealers and buy genuine Honda Power Steering Fluid. You shouldnt use anything else in a Honda, been told this by several reliable sources.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
spike said:
Get down to the dealers and buy genuine Honda Power Steering Fluid. You shouldnt use anything else in a Honda, been told this by several reliable sources.
Honda stealerships no doubt!! :eek:

logik

Advanced Member
Redline Power Steering fluid is what i bought and its perfect.

Of course Honda are going to recommend their fluid, they want more money off me.

spike

I work in a Honda dealership.. :wink:

Honestly though back when I had my first DC2 I was looking for some power steering fluid and I was pointed towards the honda stuff. Way before I worked there. The technicians in work say the same thing. At least if you're not going to get the genuine stuff then get stuff thats recommended for use in Hondas. If you dont beleive me do a quick google search.

Genuine Honda stuff is not expensive anyway, worth the peace of mind. Steering racks are expensive..

logik

Advanced Member
I phoned my local Honda dealership and asked about the Honda Power Steering Fluid.

They have it in Bottles of 1 Litre and its 15 euros for the bottle.

They did mention that they do not service Imports and so are not sure if the Honda Power Steering Fluid they have is the same grade as the one the US and Japan use.

I think i would be ok with it, what you reckon?

macer

Advanced Member
logik said:
I phoned my local Honda dealership and asked about the Honda Power Steering Fluid.

They have it in Bottles of 1 Litre and its 15 euros for the bottle.

They did mention that they do not service Imports and so are not sure if the Honda Power Steering Fluid they have is the same grade as the one the US and Japan use.

I think i would be ok with it, what you reckon?
The motul fluid from TF will be fine M8 I have been using the sftuff in my dc5 for 3 years now, also used in many a trackday. Have you had the service yet?

logik

Advanced Member
Nope Macer not yet mate. Funds are very low this month. Had to order a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's so i am looking at 2nd week of April for service.

The car only had an oil filter and oil etc 3 weeks ago by the garage i bought it off so i am not in a life or death situation yet.

Will be getting TF to do the Engine oil/ Oil Filter and a full Gearbox service and fit 4 new NGK spark plugs.

I got a bottle of Brembo LCF600+ Brake fluid and will most likely get the Honda PS fluid tomorrow as i am just below the LOW level on container.

So its a must to top it up asap.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
is it reccomended to flush the steering fluid? What about the brake fluid? what mileage is this reccomended. Is flushing something anyone can do? i heard something about flushing the ABS. Is that also necessary?

spike

Yes the Honda Power steering fluid will be perfect in your car. Apparently you just need to be careful with the fluid you use in honda power steering systems, as they need a fluid with "viscometric properties". As I said if your not gonna use Honda fluid, then get a grade that is ok to use in Honda (google search should do it)

logik

Advanced Member
I agree with what your saying but remember the stress and the pressure exerted on the PS fluid is so different between your standard Accords/Civics etc when compared to a high performance car.

Was wondering if Honda themselves had grades of their own fluid but so far i can only find the one fluid available which would indicate that its the one fluid for all Honda's.