Brakes feel a bit....

AdrianK

Advanced Member
Well spongy i suppose is a good word.

They dont feel as tho they want to bite if you can tell what i mean, i have to push pretty damn hard before much happens and even then it feels as tho the brakes are not really wanting to stop the car lol.

My old car felt a lot more responsive to pedal pushing.

Any idea what could cause this? I have toyed with the idea of braided hoses and new fluid, could this do the trick? As far as i know the pads are only about 6-8 months old so should be fine still?

Any ideas?

Oh and whilst on the subject of brakes i saw these on ebay, any good??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Integra-Typ ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMP-GroupN-300mm- ... dZViewItem

Paul G

Members
sh33n said:
New fluid usually solves that problem.

Have you got the brakes very hot? - try bleeding them 1st / replace the fluid if needed.

Endless pads are very good - but may be race spec pads?

Paul.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Flush the fluid out and put new dot5 liquid in, bleed good and proper and that should be better!

dan the man

Advanced Member
adrian mine were the same.

as if they are under servoed :? :?

:? Really pissed me off as decreased my confidence in the car.

Got hoses and fluid and has helped but i would like some more initial bite, but i have been told brembos pads are bad for feel.

ive got used to it now and can brake confidently as know not to expect mega bite at first few mil :|

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Yes DOT5!

Im unsure of OEM Brake fluid, poss Dot 4, but id be surprised if its not Dot5.1

Best fluid to put in it really, high performing fluid for a high performing car!

sh33n

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
Yes DOT5!

Im unsure of OEM Brake fluid, poss Dot 4, but id be surprised if its not Dot5.1

Best fluid to put in it really, high performing fluid for a high performing car!
I thought DOT5 was only to be used on non-road cars? I've always been told that DOT5s operating temps aren't suitable to UK roads and that DOT4 is the most suitable?

mike99

Advanced Member
if the brembos don't feel very responsive when braking, would anyone recommend changing the calipers, etc. to a different brand? i.e. ap racing, wilwood, spoon calipers, endless, project mu???

or can anyone recommend a really good tried and tested system?

thanks.

Paul G

Members
mike99 said:
if the brembos don't feel very responsive when braking, would anyone recommend changing the calipers, etc. to a different brand? i.e. ap racing, wilwood, spoon calipers, endless, project mu???

or can anyone recommend a really good tried and tested system?

I found the main prob was with the pads....... unless your doing track days then you will need to change the fluid as well and poss hoses.

The calipers i fine - dont wast yr ££££££££ :wink:

AdrianK

Advanced Member
What pads do people reccomend?

I wanted a set of mintex 1144, but mintex themselves dont list the DC5 as an application on their website? Even tho unit 8 have the pads up for sale?

Same thing with the ferodo DS2500, the ferodo website doesnt list a DC5 app, but again unit 8 list them for sale.

Does anyone have mintex 1144, they would be my top choice used mintex before and found them excellent.

Also what fluid is reccomended and where to buy and what braided lines? The spoon ones are near £300 do i wont be getting those any other options?

Suped

Advanced Member
Whats wrong with the standard brembo pads??

and TGM braided hoses are my next buy when funds allow. :lol:

dan the man

Advanced Member
paul G said:
Suped said:
Whats wrong with the standard brembo pads??

They dont stop the car :shock: :lol:
like i said 27 laps of the ring..THEY DO STOP THE CAR.

but ive got some ds2500s to go on next that i took to the ring just in case but i never needed them! Its weird as some people say the discs are not good enough and the pads but ive been fine. so its all horses for corses.

I do know i was maybe easy on them at the ring as the grip outweighs the pace of the car for a lot of corners so may be getting an easy ride.

one things for sure the calipers are ok. The car is light enough for them to be adequate- just the hardware needs choosing correctly. :wink: