Brakes on the DC5

JiB

Advanced Member
Had to do an emergency stop in the soaking wet yesterday...

..was decidedly very average and didn't instill confidence at all..

..Nearly had cat all down the front of the 'Teg. :evil:

I'm just wondering if lowering springs (I've got Spoon Progressive on atm) are detrimental to hard braking? I know the ABS kicks in a lot sooner..lol, kicked in straight away in the wet..

I must say though, I think the DC5 to be more stable under heavy braking than the '98 JDM DC2's (maybe it's just cos it doesn't brake as hard :lol: )

mikegsi

Staff member
shouldnt brake for anything smaller than a large dog, you may save the nice little cat, but you may injure something or someone else

JiB

Advanced Member
Oh.. :oops:

But my first instinct was to brake....and I braked lol..

..I thought better brake than to hesitate haha. Thanks for the tip though.

mikegsi

Staff member
it is instinct to brake, and is a hard thing to do not to brake!!

i agree that the spoon springs do affect the braking, my abs seems to kick in alot sooner too, but only on uneven surfaces (most roads round here then!!!!) but on track the brakes perform brilliantly

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
anyone felt the car shaking under heavy breaking...like swining a bit to left or to the right? i thought there is something wrong with it....anyone thinks this is normal?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Just to update, when I first got the car the brakes were pants. Recently changed the pads and much better, much better then the CTR and now I'm getting a nice progressive feel. The car does seem to struggle during prolonged and hard use, and it doesn't give me confidence in emergency situations.

fenomeno26 said:
anyone felt the car shaking under heavy breaking...like swining a bit to left or to the right? i thought there is something wrong with it....anyone thinks this is normal?
Sounds to me like one or both of your discs is warped, or your pads are uneven.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
fenomeno26 said:
Sounds to me like one or both of your discs is warped, or your pads are uneven.[/quote]

I agree with Chris. I had the same symptoms, and my discs were slightly warped and the surface of the disc wasn't smooth with lots of ridges. Changed my discs to 2 piece discs and mintex 1144 pads from Paul G and had no problems since. :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
it wont be warped discs as this is extremely rare, normally it is mistaken for pad deposits which give the same effect, and decent motor machine shop should be able to fix this for you by using a suface grinder and taking off a few thou.

Raffe

Advanced Member
JiB said:
...I thought the JDM '98 DC2's brakes were better :oops:
I drove my friends JDM 98 spec Dc2 the other day running the same brake set up as my car (DS2500 pads, braided hoses and uprated fluid) and its really dissapointed me with my car, I guess I will get them checked at TGm when it goes in for a service but you would have expected with the 4 pot Brembo calipers they would feel a lot better than the DC2's single piston affair :(

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Raffe said:
JiB said:
...I thought the JDM '98 DC2's brakes were better :oops:
I drove my friends JDM 98 spec Dc2 the other day running the same brake set up as my car (DS2500 pads, braided hoses and uprated fluid) and its really dissapointed me with my car, I guess I will get them checked at TGm when it goes in for a service but you would have expected with the 4 pot Brembo calipers they would feel a lot better than the DC2's single piston affair :(
It's the only thing that lets the DC5 down for me, the brakes. I thought the DC2 had a two-piston caliper?

I'm gonna go for Mintex 1144s as these were awesome on my DC2, but as you point out, I fear they won't make it the same. I did have Mintex discs on the DC2 as well though, maybe I should go for some uprated discs too...