Brakes

mikegsi

Staff member
seem expensive mate, been a while since I last priced up oem discs but I dont think they were that pricey and you'd be sure of the quality.

There was a company on ctro that I bought a set of discs from that were basically oem brembo that had grooves put in them, think it was CRS or CRN or similar. Discs and pads were around £120 for a set of rears, and not much more for the fronts.

The quality you get depends really on what you plan on using the car for... road only or the occasional track day?

rascal69

Advanced Member
seem expensive mate, been a while since I last priced up oem discs but I dont think they were that pricey and you'd be sure of the quality.

There was a company on ctro that I bought a set of discs from that were basically oem brembo that had grooves put in them, think it was CRS or CRN or similar. Discs and pads were around £120 for a set of rears, and not much more for the fronts.

The quality you get depends really on what you plan on using the car for... road only or the occasional track day?
Fast road and a couple of trackdays. Plan to use dot 4 fluid and yellowstuff pads or ds2500's
Grooved brembos sound decent.

mikegsi

Staff member
ds2500 or ferrodo pads are the best imo mate.

I wouldnt reccommend the ebay discs for trackdays, personal preference obviously, but I'm always wary buying from ebay.

Budget depending again, but invest in your front set up, oem honda will be fine for the back. I've had a couple of different brands of discs on my Evo's and Type R's but ones I'd definately buy again are the Project Mu discs I had on one of my Evo's, they stood up reallly, really well under some real heat on track with no soak or warping, I can also highly recommend the AP Racing discs that PaulG used to sell (TGM sell them now), they took quite a few trackdays with no signs of damage or wear and tear!

dotty

Advanced Member
Standard discs with DS2500's some braided lines and RBF 600 - Sorted.

mikegsi

Staff member
Gotta disagre mate, not for some decent track work, unless you dont plan on braking very much! Fluid, pads and hoses yes, oem discs, no

dotty

Advanced Member
They worked fine for me on the ring, and Harv had that set up on Spa all day long and had no problems ;)

mikegsi

Staff member
Hmmmm, I know Brembo are a good reliable brand, and the Tegs arent the heaviest beasties out there, maybe just me being a brand whore, but I'd still seriously consider upgrading.

dotty

Advanced Member
Isn't there a massive lead time for Project mu discs?

I don't know of many alternative 'off the shelf' discs that are available in the UK.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
IMO "you get what you pay for" is particularly applicable to brakes.

OEM Brembos + uprated pads over those 2 piece ebay jobbies any day of the week. They just ring alarms bells; they are smaller than oem and uprated 1 piece discs cost more than that!

mikegsi

Staff member
Isn't there a massive lead time for Project mu discs?

I don't know of many alternative 'off the shelf' discs that are available in the UK.
Not sure mate, I had some GodSpeed 2 piece floating discs on my first Evo and rang to get some more, till the lad mentioned the Project Mu ones he'd had on his Evo but taken off with under 100 miles use. I bought them instead very cheaply (compared to new) and they were spot on!!

dotty

Advanced Member
IMO "you get what you pay for" is particularly applicable to brakes.

OEM Brembos + uprated pads over those 2 piece ebay jobbies any day of the week. They just ring alarms bells; they are smaller than oem and uprated 1 piece discs cost more than that!
Exactly this. Oem discs and DS2500s along with lines and decent fluid is ideal..

For what it's worth I did 5 laps of the ring on oem lines, pads and discs all round. No issues to report.

It all depends what you use the car for really..